Sign in to follow this  
Boett43

Low-Pro vs. Round

Whats the difference in the two kinds of baitcasters wich is better for what? haha thanks for all the help you are all contributing to my christmas list with your help

For most bass fishing, most of the differences are pure personal preference. My experience is with 5 round reels and 4 LP reels is....they pretty much do the same thing. The differences that I note in my reels are....

My round reels generally hold more line, have a heavier drag and are less delicate.

My LP reels are more comfortable to hold/cast and will cast and retrieve a little more smoothly.

The fish do not know the difference.

Ronnie

personal preferance man, i like low pro's cuz they fit more comfortably when you hold them

I would say most people prefer LP since there are a lot more LP's on the market than round. I use both but actually prefer a round reel. I have fairly long fingers and I just feel like I have better feel and control using the round reel.

I don't really have a preference either, I fish both. My round reels are CTE200GT (5.0:1) so the applications I use them for are significantly different than my LPs which are all VERY fast.  

personal preferance man, i like low pro's cuz they fit more comfortably when you hold them

I agree

I like the low profiles.

And now you can get them in colors.

I like the Shimano reels, too.  Can't go wrong with a Shimano.

I use my "high profile" Ambassador for catfishing when I don't want to fool around with my Shimano Bait Runner as it is a heavier reel and as said above, can handle heavier line.

It's like what the CPA told the company president when asked what 1 plus 1 is, "It is whatever you want it to be."

While I only owned a Culcutta a short while I can say I prefer LP reels over the round reels. My Culcutta 101 frame had somewhat of a narrow window to thumb the spool while casting and that top bar on the frame limited access to the spool as well....but the same bar did give some added leverage while reeling in a fish as you could hook your thumb over it. Another thing I didn't care for was that the level wind would drag across my thumb tip on the retrieve...I guess my hands are just to big? Other than that...it was a glassy smooth reel and casted well. I sold it and bought a new Curado 101...couldn't be happier!

I use the LP's for basically everything, I just like how they feel in your hand and the lightness in them.  I do like the rounds because they are more sturdy and i'm not afraid to drop them.  They have much more line capacity.  I use a Cardiff 400 on my SB rod.  

I use the LPs for Bass fishing, and the regular round reels for Catfishing. I love my Low Profile reels, but I also like the larger reels, because I think they're more of a Heavy Duty reel for 15+ pound catfish.