Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Rod power / sensitivity question?

I'm a total greenhorn on rods so blast me out of the water on this one.

Another post got me thinking. Does going down to a light power rod vs a M power effectively add to its sensitivity with the same given action?

Seems like the big semi vs   the MG midget theory would apply. The semi barely feels the little car when hitting it.

Only if you are a tip watcher... that being the case, you will "see" more. Sensitivity itself (feel) is independent of power, but each person will have a preference.  I prefer a heavier rod for feel.  

With all variable held constant and only the power changing then I think yes.  The lighter power rod will be physically lighter in weight.  This translates to sensitivity.  But only changing from M to ML may not be enough to notice.

IMO as a builder, the sensitivity issue doesn't change much from power to power, but from blank modules to modules.

IE: a GL2 will be less sensitive then a GLX, the blanks wall thickness will dictate the sensitivity in the blank, then the guides and how they are wrapped (threads used) come into play.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines!!!!   :)

. Does going down to a light power rod vs a M power effectively add to its sensitivity with the same given action?

I 'd say no if the same material is used, my CR721 ( L ) is as sensitive as one of my IMX CR723 ( MH ).

Change the material and you can feel the difference in most cases, my CR722 GL2 is nowhere as sensitive as my CR722 IMX.