Sign in to follow this  
BassFishingMachine

Shimano Stradic FI

Hey im thinking of buying one of these reels for throwing jigs and I want to put 10-12lb test on it, although the reel that recommends 12 feels too big for my liking, (which is the 4000). If I were to buy a size 3000 and put 10-12lb test on it, do you think I'd have enough line on it to fish the banks? I really don't need tons of line on it. What do you think, can I get away with 10-12lb test on a 3000 fishing off the banks? Also I understand that braid has a smaller diameter and I'd be able to use that, but I really don't like using braid for freshwater unless im throwing frogs or in situations wheres theres a much smaller chance of the fish seeing the line. I guess if I have to though I'd just use the 8lb and get the 3000, the 4000 makes me feel like im fluke fishing and I'd end up turnin the setup into a fluke fishing setup  :D.

I have the 2500 and it seems to be powerful enough to fish structure off the bank.

I will probably put 8 pound flurocarbon on it and see how that works.

I have not used it as of today but plan to go to some "secret" ponds, where the kreel limit is 20 inches, next month when it starts to warm up.

I use braid on baitcasters as I believe if I am fishing in a lot of grass or bushes or structure you need the power of a baitcaster and braid line to pull the fish out of the cover.

Spinning reels are good for finesse fishing; baitcasters are for power fishing as you know.

I am sure you will get some good advice from the guys.

The 2500FI is the "perfect" size for bass fishing. Instead of 10-12 lb mono, I HIGHLY recommend #6 (.010" diameter) Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft which is approximately 11.9 lb test. This line is designed for spinning tackle. In use, this line has virtually no memory, casts VERY well and will not jump off the spool.

8-)

Hmm, Sounds good Roadwarrior, do you think 6lb test Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft will have enough power for setting the hook with Jigs though? I just read a little about it, and it says its very flexible, aren't you looking for no/barely any stretch in the line when setting the hook with Jigs?

do you think 6lb test Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft will have enough power for setting the hook with Jigs though?

I use 6lb mono and jigs all the time and never had a problem.

BTW I just bought a 2500FI. It is a nice real.  

Hey Dogface!

Welcome aboard!

With regard to "setting the hook": This is not an issue.

As I have mentioned in other threads, #6 Yo-Zuri Ultra

Soft  is the line I use for all soft plastics. This lure class

has always been my strong suit, but these comments also

apply to fishing light jigs or anything else on spinning tackle.

8-)

It is!

I also use #12 on baitcasting gear.

8-)

I have the 3000, and I wouldn't recommend putting 10 or 12 pound test mono on them.  Although the reel could definitely handle it, I don't think line that heavy would be very manageable on a small reel like the 2500 or 3000.

If you don't want to use braid, I would also recommend the Ultra Soft #6.  It's way stronger than similar mono and stretches less.

You said the reason you don't use braid is because you don't want the fish to see it.  You can still use braid in clear water as long as you use a flourocarbon leader, anywhere from 6-12 lb test connected with a Uni to Uni knot, blood knot, or an albright special.  I think this would be your best bet for jigs.  

With my Stradic, I have one spool filled with #10 Power Pro braid, and the other with #6 Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft.  That covers pretty much any situation I get myself into  8-)

Does Yo-Zuri make a line that is similiar in strength/diameter but is fluorocarbon? I'd love to be able to use the fluoro but if I have to I'd probably just settle for the mono. But like I said if they make a line that is the same diameter/streth and is flurocarbon I'll definetly prefer that, anyone know if yo-zuri has a fluorocarbon version of the this line out there?

Hey Dogface! Welcome aboard! 8-)

Thank You!

Does Yo-Zuri make a line that is similiar in strength/diameter but is fluorocarbon?

Yes they do.....BUT... it's just leader line. It's called Yo-Zuri HD Carbon.

Here is the "sales pitch" from their website....

"Yo-Zuri HD Carbon has incredible abrasion resistance, ultimate invisibility, higher sensitivity, superior knot strength, and is a softer, more supple material than other brands. This extraordinary new fluorocarbon leader is available now at your local retailers in Disappearing Pink and Clear, #8 - #200 lb test in 30yd leader coils. Don't settle for anything less than quality, chose Yo-Zuri."

The thing about Yo-Zuri is, it's already a nylon-floro blend, so there really is no point in them making a pure floro line.