Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Quality of baitcaster reels....

Hey all...

I'm new to using baitcasters so I am asking the experienced folks on this forum:

Would it be fair to say that higher quality reels are easier to use than their cheaper counterparts or should it even make a difference?

Also, I learned to fish and still use all my spinning gear left handed. Should using a left handed baitcaster make a difference?

I bought a "skippy" brand reel last summer and almost threw it in the water. Every other cast was a backlash. I picked up a "better" quality BPS Bill Dance LH baitcaster. I put Power Pro braid on it and WOW! No backlashes after 20-30 casts! Can't wait for Spring!!

bassnajr

I think you answered your own question.

Yes, higher quailty baitcasters are generally more user friendly than cheaper ones.

I'd say the biggest difference for me between a cheap and more expensive baitcaster was the ability to throw light baits without backlashing. I can throw small swimbaits weighless and no backlashing. The cheaper reel I had couldn't do that. Plus I get more distance.

Also, I'm a righty for everything except fishing. I throw right handed and reel lefty... just nicer not to have to switch the rod from hand to hand IMO.

I think you answered your own question.

Yes, higher quailty baitcasters are generally more user friendly than cheaper ones.

X 2  same exact thing for me. Went to a Citica and many less backlashes.

yes the quality of the baitcaster matures, i use to use a cheap reel thinking it didnt make a diffrence but once i bought my diawa megaforce i cant use the cheap ones EVER AGAIN. of corse now i have 6 expensive rods and reels

Ditto to what The Jake said:o)

The old cliche: "you get what you pay for" is applicable to fishing reels too:o)

I will bet you a floating rapala minnow that you definitely prefer the handle to be on the right side. I hope you don't make the mistake of buying a rh reel like I did. It was actually a good thing because I can fish left or right as a result but I still prefer left sided when possible.

before you buy 1 ,,, i suggest you get a lefty and a righty put them on rods and try reeling and casting you should be able to tell what you prefer right away ....  do that in a local bait shop before you buy .... one will feel right and the other wont .....

I think $80 is the cutoff for baitcasters.  Anything less than $80 will cause a beginner problems.  Now if you can catch the expensive reels on sale then that makes life better.  The best baitcaster that I have is my Johnny Morris signature reel that I got on sale for $134.88.  

The other important thing to know is that you need to set the spool tension for each bait with the magnet backlash set to zero.  If you change the bait, you have to set the spool tension again.  Hold the rod at 2 o'clock, push the spool release button and watch the lure fall.  Do this over and over until the spool stops turning when the lure hits the ground.  Once this is set turn your magnetic backlash control to 4 or 7 and start casting.

This is why I am so adamant about not going cheap when buying tackle. I understand that a lack of patience plays a big part. But why settle for XYZ reel at $60 when you can wait a week/month and get ABC reel for $100?

Guest avid

Anyone who buys a fishing reel made by a peanut butter company deserves what they get  :P:D ;D 8-)

Burlizzle..

I hate to set a "cut off" price but that's a good point. I am sure there are good $50.00 reels out there but is it the $100.00 mark? ($60.00 on sale) th water mark for baitcast reels?

ajr

I fished with spining reels for quite sometime before I started using baitcasters so I was kind of stuck on casting with my right hand and reeling with my left.  So I have only purchased left hand retrieve baitcasters.  Since most companies make them, it isn't a problem to get the ones you like or as in my case "need" ;D  I couldn't figure out why someone would want to cast with one hand and then switch hands to reel?!?!  Of course most of the right retrievers started before lefty reels were available.

yes the quality of the baitcaster matures, i use to use a cheap reel thinking it didnt make a diffrence but once i bought my diawa megaforce i cant use the cheap ones EVER AGAIN. of corse now i have 6 expensive rods and reels

Do you like your Megaforce?