Sign in to follow this  
.ghoti.

? about two St Croix rods

I have an Avid 6'8" MXF casting rod that I got last year. It's a great rod for Senkos and Ikas, so I use pretty much just for that.

I just picked up two Avid spinning rods, same length and action. One for me, one for my wife.

Are these by any chance built on the same blank as the casting rod?

They are all last year's models.

I know they're are some St Croix enthusiasts here who will know this.

Thanks,

GK

By St. Croix's website, the casting rod looks a little heavier in terms of what line you would be using. It might be the same blank for all I know, though, since the max lure weight is the same on both.

Edit: I just took a look at the rod building catalog, and the casting blank has a slightly larger diameter than the spinning blank.

ghoti,

I build a lot on those blanks both the spinning and baitcasting, they make great rods.

They are the same backbone and tip action but they are definitely built on different blanks.

The mandrels have 2 completely different tapers..

Tight Lines!!!!!

Thanks guys. I knew somebody here would be able to answer this. Now I need to figure out just what to use mine for.

Cheers,

GK

Soft plastics on lighter line.

8-)

Thanks guys. I knew somebody here would be able to answer this. Now I need to figure out just what to use mine for.

Cheers,

GK

Well, if the Croix rods are like the Loomis rods, then you'll find that the back bone of the spinning rod will be a little softer than the same casting rod. I would use the spinning rod for weightless worms, T-rigged, Whacky rigged, etc... you could also get by with using it for small top water lures too. Use the casting rod for weighted rigs, bullet weights and the likes, small jigs, small shakyhead, etc... and mid size top water lures. Just some idea's...