Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Closed face baitcaster???

I spotted something that looked like one of these the other day. It was a very low end plastic off brand cheapo.

Now that I think about did Rhino or somebody make one of these before?

The point is the general concept is it a good idea? Would you get the bc performance w/o the backlash?

I doubt it or the name brands would be on it too I would think.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Why just learn to throw a baitcaster it's not that hard.  These reels target what I call Wal-mart fisherman.  You know the guys who might go 10 or 20 times a year and hate baitcasting equip because they don't put an effort into actually learning it.   The guys that when you engage in conversation with them they ask have you seen that new bait thats been outlawed in tourneys and some states.  The bait that lights up.  You know the one we see in Bassin and other mags.   The guy who catches a 4 pounder and wants to get it mounted.   The same guy who thinks the factory line is good enough.      Yep just a company trying to make a buck on a market thats definatly there.    Theres alot of Wal-mart fisherman out there.

you mean like a zebco? I still use a zebco for various fishing, usually bream or white perch maybe some bass if I forget a rod or make a quick trip. I know one thing if i go 10 or 20 times a year Ive had a good year. I get to go about 5-10 times maxx probally more this year now since we got something to make the acres go by faster. I learned how to fish and basics of fishing on a zebco, it is a great reel and for 15bucks you get 3-5 years, I got one that was like 4 years old but I messed it up and it locked up on me.

No such thing as a closed face baitcaster. It would backlash like a %$ with no way to thumb the spool! It must have been some type of a spincast reel.

No such thing as a closed face baitcaster. It would backlash like a %$ with no way to thumb the spool! It must have been some type of a spincast reel.

I don't think so. It had the exact profile of a LP baitcaster it just wasn't open by where the line guide is. I'm virt certain it wasn't a spinning.

And Jake -  nope looked nothing like a Zebco or a Johnson or anywhere close to those.

Maybe I'll take the camera phone one of these days and take a pic or find a link.

Why just learn to throw a baitcaster it's not that hard.

I can and do know how to throw a baitcaster. Backlashes are to some degree a fact of life with them. I've watched countless pro's Vandam, Swindle, Houston and others have problems. I think, what is it that they are doing while trying to talk to me.? Then it dawns on me that they are picking out a backlash. With the above mindset we'd still be fishing with cane poles as why learn a BC when cane poles work just fine?

Sometimes we have to think out of the box maybe there is a whole different way to do things. ai don't think so in this case but an open mind doesn't hurt.

I was just courious on the general feasibility of this type of reel.

Why ever pick out a backlash if their is a better way?

They cost around $20, its basically a low profile spincast reel. Would be a good starter reel for children.

Oh and btw, I really like the quote in your sig!

I can and do know how to throw a baitcaster. Backlashes are to some degree a fact of life with them. I've watched countless pro's Vandam, Swindle, Houston and others have problems. I think, what is it that they are doing while trying to talk to me.? Then it dawns on me that they are picking out a backlash. With the above mindset we'd still be fishing with cane poles as why learn a BC when cane poles work just fine?

Sometimes we have to think out of the box maybe there is a whole different way to do things. ai don't think so in this case but an open mind doesn't hurt.

I have had zebco 33's back in the day and If I recall right I had them knot up on the inside quite a few times.   Point being we all backlash them there is no one here who can say they don't, I'm pretty good using one but I get some good one's here and there.   It's the challenge of it all to me.  What fun would fishing be if there where no challenges to overcome or deal with.   I like the fact that I'm not perfect and neither is my equip and it's nice to know the pros aren't either but thats the great thing about it you always have reason to get better because you will never acheive perfect but you can always keep trying and thats the reason I keep a closed mind about stuff that take the challenge away.    I'm not trying to be sarcastic I hope it dosen't come across that way

I think what you're talking about is this....

I think that is it.

Doesn't that look exactly like a BC though? It doesn't resemble a spincast to me, IE the spool appears to run horiz like a BC not vert like a spinning and a spincaster do.

I have had zebco 33's back in the day and If I recall right I had them knot up on the inside quite a few times. Point being we all backlash them there is no one here who can say they don't, I'm pretty good using one but I get some good one's here and there. It's the challenge of it all to me. What fun would fishing be if there where no challenges to overcome or deal with. I like the fact that I'm not perfect and neither is my equip and it's nice to know the pros aren't either but thats the great thing about it you always have reason to get better because you will never acheive perfect but you can always keep trying and thats the reason I keep a closed mind about stuff that take the challenge away. I'm not trying to be sarcastic I hope it dosen't come across that way

No offense taken KYbass

Your last post clears things up quite a bit nice touch.

All is good

Why just learn to throw a baitcaster it's not that hard.  These reels target what I call Wal-mart fisherman.  You know the guys who might go 10 or 20 times a year and hate baitcasting equip because they don't put an effort into actually learning it.   The guys that when you engage in conversation with them they ask have you seen that new bait thats been outlawed in tourneys and some states.  The bait that lights up.  You know the one we see in Bassin and other mags.   The guy who catches a 4 pounder and wants to get it mounted.   The same guy who thinks the factory line is good enough.      Yep just a company trying to make a buck on a market thats definatly there.    Theres alot of Wal-mart fisherman out there.

I like your comparisons.

They cost around $20, its basically a low profile spincast reel. Would be a good starter reel for children.

Oh and btw, I really like the quote in your sig!

Thanks for the pic and thanks for the comment on the sig quote

I saw the quote somewhere and stole it so feel free to use it if you like it. I had posted that I had seen it somewhere and liked it but that I couldn't remember it completely. I thought I saw it in a magazine but wasn't sure. Someone sent it to me so I used it. i see someone else had it recently so maybe that is who I stole it from! LOL

Confused now? I am LOL

I think what you're talking about is this....

I think that is it.

Doesn't that look exactly like a BC though? It doesn't resemble a spincast to me, IE the spool appears to run horiz like a BC not vert like a spinning and a spincaster do.

I'm sure that the idea was to make it "look" like a baitcaster from the outside. I'm sure once taken apart... it's like pretty much any other spincast.

I'm sure that the idea was to make it "look" like a baitcaster from the outside. I'm sure once taken apart... it's like pretty much any other spincast.