Sign in to follow this  
Zel...

Abu Garcia 911 commemorative reels

A question:

Abu Garcia has come out with 911 commemorative reels.  They are the round reels with 4 bearing and built on a 5600C4 framework. One reel is a red Firefighter's Special, the other is a blue Police Special. They come with a presentation wooden stand, factory numbered box and a special limited edition patch, warranty, letter of authenticity, instruction manual, parts guide and oil.  The 1st editions will only have a total of 911 units made in each.  I know where to get them for $130 (The regular Abu Garcia 5400C4 goes for around $89).  

So, do you think these would be good collector purchases, and do you think their value will increase?

post-4073-13016292485_thumb.jpg

As an Abu collector, I say yes. Just look at some of the prices for the Trophy collections, special edition paint(orange, camo, cigar box), and overseas versions. The value does not go up the way some want, but it will go up a little. Then someone like myself will buy them.

Trophy collectables huh.     I don't see anything made to honor those fallen a collectors item made to gain profit for collectors.  Those who died, died with honor courage and a unselfish devotion so that others may live.  I think its wrong to make something like this and call it commemorative.   What the hell is so commemorative about it.  

Abu will make custom reels for just about anybody willing to meet a minimum order quantity.

I saw these on another board, but they weren't ever presented as "911 commemorative reels", they were simply "firefighter" and "police" reels.  

What I've read on the other forum is that they were the idea of some volunteer firefighters from Minn., one of whom also works for Pure Fishing.  They have been selling the reels.  The idea was to make a limited edition of reels that might hold a special place for those in the fire fighting community.  As a limited edition somebody chose 911 as the limited number due to its significance to those in the community, but the purpose of the reels was apparently not to specifically commemorate those events.    

You can see their website here, nowhere do they refer to it as a "911 commemorative":

http://zipscoot.tripod.com/

KYbass, the trophy collection is a series of reels that are dedicated to certain gamefishes. Abu Garcia has never said that these were "9-11 World Trade Center commemoratives", they are just a collectible AG reel that happened to use the 911 for the numbers released. To my understanding this number is not to reflect Sept. 11, but #911 for emergency, fire, and police. My immediate family contains 10 police officers and 4 fire fighters, I do not need to be reminded of their and others sacrifice and duty.

KYbass, the trophy collection is a series of reels that are dedicated to certain gamefishes. Abu Garcia has never said that these were "9-11 World Trade Center commemoratives", they are just a collectible AG reel that happened to use the 911 for the numbers released. To my understanding this number is not to reflect Sept. 11, but #911 for emergency, fire, and police. My immediate family contains 10 police officers and 4 fire fighters, I do not need to be reminded of their and others sacrifice and duty.

Dude care to take a guess where I was when it happend.  In back of an ambulance working on a pt.   I really don't care how many you have in your family or if you need to be reminded or not.  And yes your right how in the hell I thought 9-11 was involved in this is beyond me  I guess I just didn't read careful enough Thank you for clarifing.

Man, no need to get so upset.  These reels are just a one of hundreds of commemorative this or that that's out there.   Part of the money initially paid for this stuff usually goes to charity.   I don't see anything wrong with it.   If a silly fishing reel helps someone remember that day, good for it.