Sign in to follow this  
ILfisherman

Daiwa 153hsta VS. Revo SX

I'm thinking about buying one or the other. If anybody owns both reels your opinion is MUCH appreciated. Please vote and explain why you voted like you did. I have seen both in the $130-$140 range shipped online. I'm looking for the best deal possible!! Thanks ahead of time. :)

Write now out of the two I have the REVO SX so I voted for that but plan on getting one of the Daiwa's soon. For the price I think you will be happy with aether one. You might be able to through lighter lures with the Daiwa a little better with the free-floating spool but the Revo SX is great real and you wont be disappointed with it.

I have both, but...my Daiwa is the 07 model HST 153.  Of these 2 I'd declare the SX the winner only because I feel it's a little bitter on the cast.  Otherwise one is as good as the other.  Now, I think the new HSTA is slightly better than my HST and will do as well as my SX on the cast.  

The SX feels slightly smaller in the hand, just slightly...to me anyway.  There is no wrong choice for you, both reels exhibit tremendous value in their price.  I don't have as much time with my Revo's as do my Daiwa's so if I had to make this choice again, I'd grab the HSTA just because I have many more years of trust into Daiwa products.  Congratulations on whichever one you choose!!  Both are great reels.

Yeah, I played around w/ the SX at a local BPS and man, it feels so solid. I love the size. Very smooth, looks like it is very high quality. But the reviews on that Daiwa has my bait monkey writing 2 checks!!

Why not just by both.....  :)

I voted Revo SX. (I have never fished the hsta) It's drag is one of the best on the market, it casts very well, and is very smooth.

I voted for the HSTA, I have a HST model. I like it a lot. Been one of my workhorses, for the last year or so. I can only hope that the HSTA will be even better, and then I will have to buy one of those as well.  :)

Why not just by both..... :)

...so how soon can you send me a check?  ;D

I appreciate your, and everyone else's comments. Right now I'm thinking about getting a Revo SX during the BPS spring classic as well as an allstar rod to get the $50 rebate. This way I get an abu reel minus about $25 for the reel trade-in, then minus another $50 mail in rebate. Sweet deal.

Own 2 SX, one S, and some other reels...i have never fished a reel as smooth as the SX. And there is NO backplay in the handle whatsoever. It feels solid, fits in my hand nicely as I reel, and has a superb drag. Also casts about 3/4 of a mile  :). You will not be dissappointed!

I appreciate your, and everyone else's comments. Right now I'm thinking about getting a Revo SX during the BPS spring classic as well as an allstar rod to get the $50 rebate. This way I get an abu reel minus about $25 for the reel trade-in, then minus another $50 mail in rebate. Sweet deal.

Sounds like a good deal.  The SX is a great reel.  I have 2 SXs, one on a Team All Star IM10 6'6" MH and the other on a Team All Star IM10 6'8" MH.  

The TAS IM10 6'8" MH is a great "all purpose" baitcaster (as close to all purposes as they come).   All Star bills it as a spinnerbait rod.  It will do that very well.  The tip is a wee bit softer than my 6'6" MH.  It will also handle big deep diving cranks and big jerkbaits very well.  

I've even used it to throw frogs and it does reasonably well at that, too.   Tips a little soft for it, though, but it works in a pinch.