Sign in to follow this  
IL_Bassman

bps crankin stick

Just wondering if anyone else out there that use the crankin stick is using it for anything besides crankbaits? Like spinnerbaits? I've got a 6'6" M crankin stick and was thinkin about using it to throw my spinnerbaits but am wondering if i would be better off with a MH?

Thanks

I have a MH and its pretty sweet for cranks and spinnerbaits..etc. The M looks good enough tho. See what happens at their spring classic for a lower price.

My opinion:

The BPS Cranking stick is a good CB , rod . However, I wouldn't use a med. for Spinnerbaits. The medium power rod doesn't have enough backbone to set the havy gage  hook in the bony parts of the fish's mouth. I would go MH.

Or, buy a BPS Graphite Series, wich was a faster action.

My SB rod is a 6-6 MH Graphite Series ($19.99 on sale) with an Extreme 1:6.3 reel.

My opinion:

The BPS Cranking stick is a good CB , rod . However, I wouldn't use a med. for Spinnerbaits. The medium power rod doesn't have enough backbone to set the havy gage hook in the bony parts of the fish's mouth. I would go MH.

Just my opinion here, but I think that the power rating on the rod should be okay with spinnerbaits. I have a few M power rods that work well with spinnerbaits up to a 1/2 oz., but they're Fast action rods. I think the limiting factor with the BPS crankbait rod would be its action. I am not positive, but I would guess that it's a moderate action rod if it's a crankbait rod. I think a Fast action rod, Med power would be better for spinnerbaits. Although a moderate action rod wouldn't be my first choice for a spinnerbait rod, you could probably still use it for spinnerbaits if you put a little more >;) into it when you set the hook.

You are right ,Saladmander....

It's a combination  of power and action that determines the hooksetting power at the point of the hook.

That's why I recomanded using a heavier power rod OR same power but faster action.

I should of said: "...the medium power/ moderate action rod doesn't have enough backbone ...."  I assumed that we are talking about the BPS CB rod and the action is a given, not "in general" about power/action for SB rods.

That's why I recomanded using a heavier power rod OR same power but faster action.

Ahh....Gotcha.  Sorry.  ;)  Sometimes I miss things when I read too fast.  8-)  I read you're post again and think we were pretty much saying the same thing. :)