Sign in to follow this  
low_pro

Backlash while reeling???  What happened?

So I went fishing yesterday and on the first cast hook a 3.5lb peacock bass, woo hoo!  while I'm hoisting this guy in, I feel the reel "slip" and I get a nasty backlash!  I kept reeling (obviously) and landed the fish, but after the excitement I spent 5 minutes picking out the nest....

What happened?

Been using a baitcaster for a loooong time and had more than my share of "professional overruns". Some to the point of a VERY large bird's nest :-[but that's a new one on me...

As Ever,

skillet

Just a little info on the reel would be nice and maybe a help... ;)

I had a similar thing happen to me when I had a tiger fish POUND my spinnerbait in Africa. But I know why it happened. The strike of the fish was so violent that my thumb acidentally touched the thumb bar releasing the spool for a half a second. This caused an immediate birdsnest.

Guest muddy

I just started baitcasting last year. One of the reels I learned on was a BPS Extreme, it had a black button on top, I did not know that is was a Flippin Switch So I would palm the reel on the retrive , engage that button and Instant Birds nest ! So I don't know if your drag is too loose or you are doing what I was but that is how it happened to me. I never use the Flippin approach and had no idea I was engaging anything

I had a similar thing happen to me when I had a tiger fish POUND my spinnerbait in Africa. But I know why it happened. The strike of the fish was so violent that my thumb acidentally touched the thumb bar releasing the spool for a half a second. This caused an immediate birdsnest.

actually, I think you may be right.... ;)

looking at how I "palm" the reel, i could easily press the button. I'm used to round reels and I just tried this low profile for the first time. the strike was intense so I may have become a little excited   lol

oh yeah...   it was a Pinnacle Solene.  i'm was satisfied with it's performance until towards the end of the day, the trigger button broke and fell off....  I guess you get what you pay for...   :-[

Muddy beat me to it. But I thought it might be an accidental free spool button trip. To bad about it falling apart.....

Good Luck & Tight Lines !!!!!