Sign in to follow this  
Masshole Mike

BPS Rick Clunn baitcaster

long story short, i picked up an okuma baitcasting reel with a broken thumb switch for dirt cheap and sent it to outdoor world rod and reel repair which i guess is a subsidiary of BPS somehow. anyways, they don't repair okuma's so they offered to give me a discount on a house-brand reel. i don't know much about BPS's reels so i chose to get a BPS rick clunn left-hand 7.1:1 reel. after shipping i'm paying $40 for the BPS reel.

any comments on this reel? i didn't really have much time to decide which one i'd like as the woman was sitting on the other end of the phone line, and this one seemed like a pretty decent one.

I got to use one of these for a whole day and out of the BPS reels I have tried it is the only one I cared for.  It was easy to use, casts well, pretty smooth, and I didn't get any backlashes all day.  

For $40, that sounds like an excellent deal.

My dad had 2 of the old 6.2:1 or 6.3:1 what ever they were and they worked out well for him. He's had one for several years now. I'm sure they've gotten better. If I were looking for a BPS reel I'd look at them.

I bought a 6.4:1 last year and it turned out to be my favorite reel compared the the extremes and old quantums that I had.  The only thing that I don't like about it is the spool isn't drilled.  It is tiny and holds a lot of line but I only use about 50 yards of it.  I bought a 7:1 this year to add to my collection.  That is one of the best $40 deals that you can get.  You made out well.

At that price you can't go wrong.  I have one that I mainly use for spinnerbaits.  It will cast a mile.  It is a nice little reel for the money.  I on the other hand can backlash the @#$% out of it.

I have found that you need to start that magnetic control at 6 or 7 to eliminate backlashes.  After you get used to it you can start to bump it down.  

Lefty Reel.....just like mine....The only kind of thing on the left that I like!  ;D