Sign in to follow this  
Davis

Diawa Exceler Spinning Reel

http://www.***.com/descpage.html?PCODE=DES

Looking real hard at putting this on one of my emptry spinning rods. Want to get into cranking more this year and have heard good things on this reel. With it being geared low I think this would be a good option for cranking and some slow dragging. Does anyone have any experience with them? Definatley would be going with the 2500.

This is also my price range. So please no Shimano pimping. ;) Not interested.   8-)

I will not Shimano pimp, but I will Plueger pimp as they are in the same price range... ;)

the trion and the president have wihtstood MANY brutal battles with a variety of fish and I honestly don't think you will find more bang for your buck... combined with 6/20 spiderwire, it's a lethal combo.

with little to no maintenance these reels will last for years....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_51666_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58697_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

i know, i know... you asked for a pizza and I gave you a cheeseburger but that's just my 2 cents... good luck ;D

Actually I do own a president 7135 and it's on my Avid AS68mxf. That's my plastics combo. ;)

Been hearing good thinks about the Exceler so I was looking at it for another application. Thanks for the advice though! I agree the president is a nice reel for the price.

Got a Exceler 2500 on my avid 63mxf and used it all last season on the river. It performed flawlessly on sm bass, walleye, and a few surprise channel and flathead catfish.  It's a smooth reel with a good drag, comes with a spare aluminum spool, and has a "easy on the pocket price tag". I like mine and would recommend it to others. Hope this is what you wanted to hear.

rjg

Last summer i fished a exceler 2000 with 8 lb test with tube jigs and trick sticks. i think that this reel is an absolute bargain . it is super smooth when retreiving line . you can't go wrong with this one. 8-)

Looking real hard at putting this on one of my emptry spinning rods. Want to get into cranking more this year and have heard good things on this reel. With it being geared low I think this would be a good option for cranking and some slow dragging. Does anyone have any experience with them? Definatley would be going with the 2500.

I never used an Exceler, but I've used Regal-Zs for years in the 2500 size. These have the same gear ratio and line capacity as the reel you're asking about. They have served me well for all the techniques I use, including cranking, and I think they'd serve you well also.

Bought an Exceler 2500 late last season.  I found it as enjoyable to use as my Stradic.  I did not find that any performance or feel was sacrified.  The bail did trip a few times on the cast, about twice as often as on Stradic.  But, it cast as well and pehaps better than the Stradic 2500.  Cheers.

Why not go with the 2000. It has an IPT OF 24" instead of the 28" of the 2500. You did say you were going to use this for cranks.

Why not go with the 2000. It has an IPT OF 24" instead of the 28" of the 2500. You did say you were going to use this for cranks.

Putting Cabelas 10lb line on it. Thinking a bigger spool size would help me with better line management. Thoughts everyone?

I have always been a Shimano man but I was talked into a Diawa Tierra by a fisherman I respect. I have to admit that this is the best spinning reel I have ever used. It's smooth, great drag and line twists are not an issue. I know you are set on a 2500 but look into the 3000. It has the same frame but the spool is a bit larger. I understand you are looking at the Exceler but a good friend of mine has the 3000 Exceler and it's his #1 spinning reel for Seelhead as well as bass.

The Exceler's are very nice reels for the money!!!!

I bought one for my nephew last year, and that kid is HARD on equipment, and its going strong for him. I would definitly say its a worth while product and wouldnt hesitate to reccomend or buy another one if needed.

Putting Cabelas 10lb line on it. Thinking a bigger spool size would help me with better line management. Thoughts everyone?

I agree 100%!! It's a known fact (simple physics) that all other things being equal, bigger spools have fewer line problems.

My uncle has several of them, and he fishes three different trails every year.  He abused them all last summer and had a lot of praise for them.  I own a couple of Daiwa Tierra's, and I am very impressed.  Daiwa has raised the bar for lower priced spinning reals IMHO.  The Exceler is the cheapest you can get into a Daiwa that has the Digigear technology, as well as the air-bail.  The air-bail really is impressive...very innovative.  

Yo-Zuri Ultra soft 6lb would be an alternate line to consider.