Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Monofilament VS Copolymer lines....pros and cons.

Hey all...

I am trying not to buy to much into the "line craze" but would like member opinions on mono. vs copoly. lines. What line do you use in what circumstance, why, and what line do you feel is better? Is coploy just the natural progression of monofilament line?

Thanks for ideas/opinions in advance.

ajr

There is no difference between the two.  Mono is made with one strand of material while copoly is two strands of material fused together.  So with that in mind I think its just a marketing hype if you hear copoly is better.

Have been trying to make up my mind also (have been for a while :-/). Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to staying with mono (maybe try another brand) or copoly. Respect your opinion N KVD but there are quite a few folks that are members here that really like copoly over mono depending on brand ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

i've been using pline copolymer for about 5 years and the stuff is great... its not really much more than a spool stren or trilene, great visibilty above the water, floro-coated under water... soft, limp, low memory, even has a little stretch to it.

if you want to see the diff between mono and a copolymer, snag into a log with some 8lb Gamma... ;)

I've been using Silver Thread co-poly ever since it was introduced by Bagley's a long time ago, and I have absolutely ZERO complaints with it.  It's still available from PRADCO and is one of the most reasonably priced lines out there.

I am trying not to buy to much into the "line craze"

I'm not sure which is the most important tackle, line or hooks, but one is THE most important and the other a very close second.

The advantage of copolymers vs. monofilament is additional line strength for a given diameter. Additionally, copolymers generally have greater abrasion resistance and last much longer because they do not absorb water and are not effected by UV light.

8-)