Sign in to follow this  
Micro

6'6" or 7' crankbait rod for light cranks??

I think I'm going to buy one of the Fenwick Elite Tech rods.  They have a 6'6" and a 7' crankbait model that is rated for 1/4-5/8 oz baits.  For light baits, is one length better than the other??

Where will you be using the rod? If it is around docks I would go with the 6'6". If you want to use this in open water where long cast are required go with the 7'.

I've always felt it was easier to cast lighter crankbaits further with a 7' rod.  My accuracy is about the same with a 6'6 and a 7' rod and being  6'3 the 7' rod feels best in my apelike arms.  

I also end up winding between cypress trees and a long rod can be a real pain when every cast involves hitting the tree or limb behind me.

Yeah, me to.  

Fenwick makes a 6'6" and 7' medium rod rated for 1/4-5/8 oz baits.  They also make a 7'3" medium heavy rated for 3/8-1 oz baits.  I'm thinking about a 6'6" for light baits and the 7'3" for open water and bigger, deeper diving baits.  

I got the 7'3" medium heavy Elite Tech Crankshaft rod.   The staff must have thought I was nuts standing there examining and flexing the rods, walking away and coming back, for the better part of an hour.

I thought about it and most of the crankbaits I use are 3/8oz or heavier.   I thought this rod would be the most versatile.  I've got a Fenwick HMG 6'6" medium baitcaster that handles small cranks just fine.  

Now, I just have to come up with the perfect cranking reel.  I'm gonna wait until after ICast to see if anything new-and-cool comes out.  I really want to wait and see if the new Abu Garcia Toro comes in a cranking version, and see if that's a reel I want to buy.  

Now, I just have to come up with the perfect cranking reel.  I'm gonna wait until after ICast to see if anything new-and-cool comes out.  I really want to wait and see if the new Abu Garcia Toro comes in a cranking version, and see if that's a reel I want to buy.  

I think you've already got 5 or 6 "perfect" cranking reels.  

If you're looking for a crankbait reel (and don't laugh), I would highly recommend the Shimano Calais 200APV.  This is one of those reels words can't describe, you just have to fish it to enjoy it.  It represents overkill in every manner possible, (mmm... with exception of the drag).  It is the ultimate in smoothness and power.  I am not sure what the drag is on it but I would compare the torque it can produce to a Shimano Calcutta.  

PS

I know this is all well and good but you'll probablly come home with another Revo anyway.  :)