Sign in to follow this  
the roc

Rell Problem

I searched the forums for the answer but couldnt find it.

I am doing something wrong, I have a zebco 33 and a Rhino reel and both are having the same problem. Sometimes when I cast I am getting line caught in the frontmost section of the reel, you know the part that comes out when you press the button. I hope that makes sense. I have to take the reel apart and cut the line off. What am I doing wrong? I didnt think you could mess a reel like this up.

well the zebco is a brand new reel, I bought last week, and I just put new line on the rhino. is it possible to hold the button down too long?

Sometimes with a closed faced reel, slack line gets reeled in and makes loops and kinks that cause casting problems.

If you cast and the line gets stuck, stop and pull out as much line as you need to until it comes out easily...Then hold the rod with your left hand a few inches in front of the reel and pinch the line between your thumb and forefinger as you reel in. This little bit of tension on the line will help it stay flat on the reel and cast easier. Bottom line, whenever you reel in a spincast reel, try to keep a modest amount of tension on the line.

If your line is already kinked, or knotted, you'll need to replace it.

A better solution, if you plan to fish often, is to switch to an open faced spinning reel.

Thanks, I guess I need to hold some tension on it.

I stink at open faced reels. Ill be pulling out backlashes more than I fish.

Get a "spinning reel", they don't backlash and you can master them in short order. If you can find someone to simply show you the basics, after 10 casts you'll be wondering why you didn't give this a try sooner.

8-)

Get a "spinning reel", they don't backlash and you can master them in short order. If you can find someone to simply show you the basics, after 10 casts you'll be wondering why you didn't give this a try sooner.

8-)

I agree 100%..

spinrell01.gif

Oops!   :)