Sign in to follow this  
S I G M A

New rod suggestions

I am looking towards getting a new rod, a nice one and need some suggestions.

I plan on using 2 rods in total, as i don't have a boat and don't feel like carrying a lot around with me all the time.

I already have a 7 ft MH St. Croix Avid paired with a Abu Garcia Revo. I use it for throwing jigs and soft plastics.

I just got an Abu Garcia Revo SC, and need a rod to pair it with that can cover most of the other lures that i throw that my St. Croix can't cover.

Mostly: medium sized crankbaits, small and medium sized spinnerbaits, a few topwaters, some in-line spinners(usually around 1/4 oz range).

I am looking for a rod in the 6 foot to 6'6" range, preferably in the 100-200 range (can go a little above, little below).

I need these two rods to be able to cover most of the lures i throw, as i don't fish from a boat and don't need 5-6 rods.

Please give me some suggestions of rods to choose from, your guys' input is greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions of where i fish or how i fish, let me know.

kistler 6'6 magnesium all purpose mh f

or st croix avid 6'6 mh mf

or powell max 6'8 mh f  

all under 200 bones, all great rods!

or you could even go carrot! for 140ish

Another St. Croix: Avid AC66MF

This is a rod that allows you to work topwater and jerkbaits efficiently.

I consider this my "all-around" baitcaster. It is also my go-to rod for

spinnerbaits, medium weight cranks, buzzbaits and any "moving" lure.

8-)

You want fast action? I thought you were supposed to have a medium or medium light tip so that the rod would give in a little when they took the crankbait? I read that somewhere in one of the articles... I'm confused   :)

All star makes a good rod....

my self cant afford that kind of expensivness... so i use the rods that bass pro shops puts their name on... whom ever makes them i liek them alot... also are less than 100 bucks...

Alex

What about the G Loomis Crankbait rod in 6'6" M? or any other G Loomis?

What about the G Loomis Crankbait rod in 6'6" M? or any other G Loomis?

Any of the CBR rods should be excellent! Unless you buy GL2s or GL3s, you wont be disappointed in Loomis rods. The CBR rods are close to your budget.

Ronnie

What about dropping the length down to like 6'3 or 6'0? Would that be bad? I go wade out in small rivers sometimes and think a shorter rod would just be more convenient... thoughts?

Would the Avid be a better buy or the G Loomis crankbait series? anyone own both?

i also like bass pro shops bionic blade rods.... i have 2 of those in 6' MH spinning rods....

Alex

What about dropping the length down to like 6'3 or 6'0? Would that be bad? I go wade out in small rivers sometimes and think a shorter rod would just be more convenient... thoughts?

I wade a 300 yd stretch of shoreline from our dock regularly, sometimes up to my chest in depth. I have fished with rods from 5'6" to 6'6" doing this and my favorites are the 5'6" rods. I think shorter is better but I never have to cast more than 40' and usually a lot closer than that. It's just easier to handle and get the fish closer to me with the shorter rod.

Also, I have a couple Revo SC's, I would not recommend a 7:1 reel for spinnerbaits and cranks. Absolutely not saying it cannot be used but for myself and most guys I know, we find that Higher speed a nuisance for those baits. I like it for traps, jigs and worms though. You might want to switch them around for your intended uses one day and see how that works out for you.

Ya... I could probably switch those over... i think 6'6" would be possibly a little more difficult to manage when i'm almost chest deep in water...

or how about the G Loomis GL2 6' M CR722? would that fit my needs?

After extensive perusing of the forum... I think i'm going to go with the AC66MF for my second rod. Too bad i didn't come to this decision when reeds was having its sale on avids last winter...

I'm halfway there on bass pro shops rewards points anyways  ;D

I like my Powell's the best of my middle market rods, although I admit it is a close race.  I own GLX's, IMX's, Avids, Carrots, and Powells.  The Powells are light weight split grips that actually balance well.  This is my choice in the middle rod market.  However, there is something to be said about finding an IMX on ebay.  Last year you could buy IMX's all day long for $160-$175 from FatFishFarmer's ebay store until someone alerted Loomis headquaters that a retailer was selling them well below MSRP (yep...somebody really did that).  You can still find IMX's on ebay for under $200 if you look around.  

like a 6'6" MF IMX? i was also pondering the idea of getting a blank and having it custom made... mainly for *** and giggles... and just so it would be personalized

Final verdict: Custom... found a rod builder about an hour or so from where i live that can build me a custom rod... will be using the st croix avid 6'6" MF blank. Very reasonable price as well... i hope this turns out well ::) ;D