Sign in to follow this  
Davis

Lets talk High Speed reels....."burners"

Okay with the ole rebate check coming in from GW soon......I was going to grab up a 50mg. But I think I may go another route here. I have reels and rods for most situations except a 7:1 burner. Want to grab one for froggin, buzzbaits, and throwing jigs around downed trees/bushes/ and heavy slop.

Thoughts on a couple reels?

Zillion?

Zillions are sweet.  It will cast 1/4oz and up baits almost as far as my TD-Z's.  I picked up a couple of clearance Tour Edition PT's, and they are like winches.  I'm not fond of the weight of them at all; they are bricks!  I'd either buy a Zillion or wait until August for the new 7:1 Curado.  

I have 3 different 7.1:1 reels, a Pflueger Summit, a Shimano Curado 200DHSV, and a Quantum Code.  I only prefer the Summit over the Curado because of it's size and weight as I have relatively small hands and it's easier for me to palm and manipulate the smaller reel when working plastics and jigs.  I use the Curado for buzzbaits and Horny Toads because I can just crank on it all day long without palming or trying to keep my fingers on the blank/line.  I use the Code for ripping lipless cranks and heavy spinnerbaits, but it's not my favorite reel by a good margin.  I don't know what it is exactly, but it doesn't feel as nice in my hand as the others and it's not near as smooth as the Pflueger or Shimano reels.

Get anyone you like.

I love my Curado 7:0:1 on my Kistler rod.

Great combo and you will really like your burner.

Super reels and you can reel them fast or slow and any speed inbetween.

I have 3 different 7.1:1 reels, a Pflueger Summit, a Shimano Curado 200DHSV, and a Quantum Code. I only prefer the Summit over the Curado because of it's size and weight as I have relatively small hands and it's easier for me to palm and manipulate the smaller reel when working plastics and jigs. I use the Curado for buzzbaits and Horny Toads because I can just crank on it all day long without palming or trying to keep my fingers on the blank/line. I use the Code for ripping lipless cranks and heavy spinnerbaits, but it's not my favorite reel by a good margin. I don't know what it is exactly, but it doesn't feel as nice in my hand as the others and it's not near as smooth as the Pflueger or Shimano reels.

I know what you mean about the Codes. I bought 2 of them for really no reason. Just wanted to try them. Out of the box they were very rough feeling. I could feel the gears and was not smooth at all. However, after a little greese on the gears and some Hot sauce, they are smooth now. Hopefully they will stay that way. I was pretty disappointed at first but now I kind of like them.

The curado, zillion, and the revo's are all great choices for burner reels depending on what brand you like.

Thanks for your input guys.

Zillon is looking pretty good right now.

Owned a Revo already and wasn't that impressed compared to my Shimanos.

Never have owned a Diawa reel before so I think I will give that a whirl. Thanks again. 8-)

Thanks for your input guys.

Zillon is looking pretty good right now.

Owned a Revo already and wasn't that impressed compared to my Shimanos.

Never have owned a Diawa reel before so I think I will give that a whirl. Thanks again. 8-)

If that Revo is right handed I would be interested if you are looking to get rid of it and it is not priced out of sight.

I have both a Quantum TE and a Zillion in the burner...

I dont think you can get a better reel for the money right now than you can with the Quantum. The best reel is another matter...Zillion. And if what I hear is true about an all red Zillion...:)

Revo STX HS or Daiwa Zillion

The STX HS new can be had for $170 shipped to your door from PoorFish on ebay.

I just got a high speed zillion yesterday going on a 7'2'' xh crucial sweet set-up perfect for frogs.