Sign in to follow this  
.Paxamus.

Fenwick Elite tech Crankshaft Rod?

Has anyone used the new Fenwich Elite Tech Crankshaft rod?  I would love to buy one, but can't find any reviews.  If anyone has any input please let me know, or any other crankin rod.

I bought one a few weeks ago.  The 7'3" MH model.  I still haven't fished it yet.  But I've been casting it with one of my Revos and one of my EXT Pros to see which reel profile I like best on it.  

It is relatively light, being half graphite, half glass.  It seems very whippy to me, but I haven't used a glass rod in many years.  It seems to be very well made.  It has double footed alconite guides all the way up.  I can get LONG distances on it compared to a 7' graphite rod with the same reel and same 3/8 oz casting plug.    The bulged grip end gives a very sure feel when casting.  

Anyone else have any experience with the Crankshaft rod?

I recently got a TechnaAV and love it; awesome rod. But I'm also looking for a new crank bait rig. Someone here told me the Fenwick HMG makes a better crankin' rod than the Techna. I was at my local shop (again) last week and was surprised to hear two sales guys say they prefer the Technas over the Elite Techs. I got the impression, from one of them, that he thought the Elite Techs were "gimmicky" maybe. Not the Crankshaft, specifically, but the whole line. It seems like a pretty nice rod to me. Having never even held a glass (or half glass) rod before, that whippiness was a little intimidating. But I believe that's exactly what you want in a good crankin' rod.

I've fished several of the Elite Techs.  The crankbait rod is good, if you like that soft style of action.  Personally, it's mostly an open water cranking tool for me.  Once the weeds come up I like something that can "rip" a little more.

I've actually found I like the spinnerbait/target rod for throwing rattlers and shallow cranks.  Just enough backbone to rip the bait free from weeds, but still some softness to keep the fish hooked up.  Great rod for that application.

I just got the 6'6" crankshaft model.I can tell you that it is a very well made- high quality rod.It has a good handle and is not very heavy.Only thing is - it is very whippy.I dont know if I am going to get used to that.Dont get me wrong because thats probably the way it is supposed to be- I just think I might like a medium action graphite better for the job.

I don't think the Elite Tech line is "gimmicky."  But I think it's another example of a company jumping on the "technique specific" rods bandwagon.   It's a case of a company telling YOU what THEY think is best.

I bought the Crankshaft because I wanted a long, glass rod for big, deep diving crankbaits.   I didn't have anything really appropriate for those.  After doing some comparing, I liked the Crankshaft the best.   So I bought it.   I happen to think the recommended technique and the design of the rod comport nicely.

But for the mot part I don't give a flip about what technique the manufactuer recommends.    I have several All Star "spinnerbait" rods that I usually use top throw swim senkos, big topwaters, some types of plastics.  It's power and action make it good all around rod.  I've got a "carolina riggin" rod that sees far more duty throwing toads than carolina rigs.  Most of my rods pull double, triple or even quadruple duty.  I've got a couple of Fenwick HMG graphite rods that I use to throw light cranks.  

All you can do it try it and see if you like it.  

Micro thanks or the input also it is nice to know that someone else out there is a huge ABU fan!  B the way great avatar