Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

Really tight drag on BPS reel

Hello all,

I was messing with my BPS Extreme reel last night, and I noticed that the drag is really tight even with the drag star loosened all the way.

Anyone have any idea where I should look for issues?  Does this symptom give enough info to narrow it down?  

Yes, I know, send it in to BPS. :)

But I figure I need to learn my reels better at some point, and this is a relatively inexpensive reel to learn on.

Pop it apart on the side, and oil everything with one drop on each moving piece, and try again.  I would assume that something, like a pin or something, has somewhat seized.  See if you can see anything in any of the gears, if you do, try to remove, or clean it as best as you can.  GL!

I bought the BPS nitro acouple of weeks ago.  Same thing.  Took it to a local shop, and he agreed that it was a little tight.  But being that it worked freely and tightened down as it should, I spooled  it and fished it, and decided that evan at that, the drag wasn't gonna be an issue.  It still tightens down where I want it and I can still back it off plenty.

I was wondering then already if that's just the way certain models from BPS are.

I wouldn't worry about it, either way.  Seems to be a common thing, and people just deal.  Why would you want to have a low drag setting, when hooking a fish anyhow? lol  I never worry about it, and if you watch the pros, they never adjust their's either!  Especially not during play, so it's pointless.  :)  My drag, though, on my bionic plus, is perfect.  I think it just depends on the model of reel, and the craftsmanship.  First time I heard this about any BPS reel, though...

Each reel mfg use's different tolerances for stacking their crank/drag assemblies, and the ability to place the crank side plate over it with the one way rollers involved. Some times these tolerances give you more adjustment space than others, this is were you get the different adjustments on different reels.

I don't service BPS reels, but I would imagine that this is probably the reason for the way the drags adjust...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

I wouldn't worry about it, either way.  Seems to be a common thing, and people just deal.  Why would you want to have a low drag setting, when hooking a fish anyhow? lol  I never worry about it, and if you watch the pros, they never adjust their's either!  Especially not during play, so it's pointless.  :)  My drag, though, on my bionic plus, is perfect.  I think it just depends on the model of reel, and the craftsmanship.  First time I heard this about any BPS reel, though...

This is on my crankbait reel so I need to be sure it has enough give to not rip hooks out of a fish's mouth :)

I think this is a sign from the gods to get the Revo Winch :)

Chris at Tech,

This is on my crankbait reel so I need to be sure it has enough give to not rip hooks out of a fish's mouth. I think this is a sign from the gods to get the Revo Winch
With the proper power and tip action on the rod, and a good line with some stretch the reel should do the trick. As far as the new Revo Winch 5.4:1 isn't a quote end quote IMPO a cranking reel. 4.1:1 and 3.8:1 are better know as cranking gear ratios. Most all of the reels in the 80's up to the mid 90's were in what was called the high speed ratios and they were all 5.1 to 5.4:1 GR's. 6.2:1 didn't rear it's head until the late 90's.

Just my .02¢ from the bench...

Tight Lines!!!

Well for a lefty, there don't seem to be many options for low ratio low profile cranking reels...

This is about close as we get, it seems :)

I hear ya, I still use my old Quantum EX301 it was the only LH cranking reel produced in the mid 90's by Quantum, had a GR of 3.8:1.. We bought up about 10 of them at that time and then the EX's  were discontinued, I kept one and we re-geared the rest to 6.2:1. The only one's I know of now are the Daiwa PT33C and the Quantum 1310CP all with 3.8:1 GR's and only in RH.

Well Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!