Sign in to follow this  
NFW

Reely Basic Reel problem!!

My son has an Eagle Claw TC 1000 'Turbocast' reel and his practice cast yesterday sent bobber, weight and hook into orbit. Now, PROBLEM; How do you get these reels open for a new line?? I've checked every possible source on the web and nothing. It clearly does not screw off and prying looks like it will break. Any ideas?

thanks NFW

No unfortunitly.  I looked everywhere.  It's not a real expensive item and probably not the greatest but we were going to use it tomorrow.

It's a cone shaped reel.  There is a 'seperation' type seem around the circumfrence just forward of the handle but no 'clue' on whether or not (or how) this is the opening point.

Most any spincast reel I've ever seen the face just unscrews or unlocks by twisting to the left.  If it unlocks, then it will only rotate less than 1/4 turn before being free.  And a lot of them are so tight that it would make you think it does not work this way, but they usually do.  If you need one by tomorrow, then it might be better to just get a Zebco 202 or something for him to use to get by on and fix it later.  I'm assuming he's a very young child though.  Good luck fishing!!!  I know I did well this weekend.