Sign in to follow this  
Ben W

I think I need new equipment

I love bass fishing, like everyone on this site, but it seems my equipment quality is below average. I don't mind my reel, a Shakespeare Cirrus, but it's just my pole and line. For my pole I have a Johnson Citation 5' 6" rod, and with that combination it's  like I can only put a maximum of 10 # test on. I want to get braided line, Spiderwire, which I have tried, but it rubs against the eyes of my rod and limits majorly on the casting distance. It's also very loud. I was think of saving my money to buy an Ugly Stik, but I came here to ask you guys. What is the best rod(height, name), reel(name), and line for bass fishing? For tackle, I use scum frogs, jigs, jitterbugs, senkos, buzzbaits, and some crankbaits. I need help :-/

Is your reel baitcasting or spinning?

Ronnie

Look at Bass Pro or Cabelas, and buy the best spinning rod you can afford.  

You will be disappointed if you get an ugly stick.  No sensitivity whatsoever

My Walmart has Bionix spinning rods, (graphite) for about 40 bucks..

Good starter rod.  I have one,, use it mainly for the company to use or if the wife wants to go bream fishing.

90% of us think we need more equiptment lol :D

and 10% of us really do!  

Ben, if you want to stay in the 35-40 dollar range, I would suggest also the bionix, along with the lightning rod by berkley.  If you have a local fleetfarm (farm&fleet), check for the shakespeare agility.  

If you are looking to stay reasonable on your wallet for a reel, look at the Quantum Array.  I believe it comes in 3 different models.  Bought my nephew one, nice reel for money.

As far as line, I won't get ito it much, but I use P-line cx and cxx, and yozuri copolymers.  Also, check out PowerPro for your braid.

Good luck!

i second the array i have one great real i love it!!!

its on a diawa tri-force rod...

Alex

I would get a Berkley lightning rod, and if you want a new reel pick up one of the Abu Garcia cardinals at wal mart for 30-40 dollars.  My friend has this combination for an UL set up and it is pretty nice.

Please no ugly stick.

6'6" MED/HVY Lightning rod will do you nicely and a shimano sahara 2500 spinning reel.