Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

Skipping on a baitcaster

pretty sure this is where the thread would go.

i can skip baits under docks and stuff pretty good with a spinning rod, but not so much with a baitcaster.

after the bait hits the water, it backlashes.

how do you skip with a baitcaster?

if i'm ever desperately in need of a good backlash, i immediately reach for my baitcaster and give skippin a go. it's my sure-fire way to get a proper professional overrun.

i've actually gotten pretty good with a spinning setup but baitcasting is just a mess any time i've tried.  keeping the bait close to the surface of the water and getting some velocity behind it seems to be the key with skipping a baitcaster. looks like i've got even more practicing to do!

Comon guys it is not that hard. When the fishing is slow move out away from everything and try it out. when you have the skip down move in and start trying to put it where you need to. Keep fresh line on the spool and it will help. Tough to skip when it has memory.

to second what fishfordollars said use heavy braid(50+) it makes it a whole lot easier. i can barely do it with flouro and it is ineffective, with braid it is a different story

once you learn it you won't stop

I'll provide the same advice i prodvide for all equipment training, USE QUALITY EQUIPMENT! it's so much easier it's not even funny

yeah my gear isnt a problem. i got good rods and reels and 50lb powerpro.

so the faster you get it going the less likely it is to backlash on you?

cuz i can skip the lure without problem, its just after i do so it backlashes.

First make sure backlash control is set to max, and adjust your spool tension knob to where your bait barely trickles down...barely at all.  Use a sidearm cast...low trajectory as stated earlier in the thread.  You actually want to aim at the water before the intended target, but again...the low trajectory thing is huge.  Sidearm with your rod tip hovering a couple of feet over the water.  You only want a slight angle...think like you are skipping a rock.  Bait choice is important as well.  Tubes, Beavers, Ikas, ect. skip a lot better than say...a trickworm or lizard.  I generally skip a Beaver.  

Guys, don't discourage him! It's not has hard as some of you are making it sound.

Try skipping first with easier baits to skip. Some baits just glide a bit easier. I like skipping with frogs and flukes and such. It helped me learn.

Stick with it, and remember use your thumb.  Also, if you do it too light in fear of a backlash, you'll get a backlash. Don't be afraid, give it the good ol' power!