Sign in to follow this  
kbkindle

how to tie a knot?

kb here     trying to tie a 12 lb florocarbon line  of about 5' to a 30 lb power pro   main line  so i guess i have two different size lines    i have never done this before  but the last two days i have lost about 5 fish  what the line looks like it's being cut at the knot .  i used two polymer knots and a   uni knot and they both break   where i connect them   what ia'm i doing wrong   what kind of knot do you guys use  i dont know ,but what  time i have got to use this setup seems like i get more strikes   i know dam well i get more misses.  to be honest that about all the knots i know how to tie.kb  i had some real small split rings that would  go thru the rod eyes and i tied the two lines on to ring but i know thats not the thing to do. kb

I am guessing your knot tying technique is the problem. I use the uni-uni knot connection with no problems. It is VERY important to tie the knots S-L-O-W-L-Y and LUBRICATED. That goes for any knot type when joining braid to mono/fluorocarbon. Friction is the killer for fluorocarbon.

If you are using Vanish Fluorocarbon, change brands.

Uni to Uni or Blood Knots are fail proof.

Otherwise, don't use a leader or don't use braid!

8-)

I hear a drop of super glue, or a similar substance, does wonders for braid-to-leader knots.  I've never had a problem, even without the glue, but I fish mono leaders, not flouro.

I agree on the uni-to-uni splice.  Could it be that you're fishing cover too heavy or snaggy for 12lb line, and you're experiencing breakoffs that are strength-related, not knot-related?

I have tried a bunch and the best and easiest is the modified Albright or Alberto's knot.  It is a 5 wrap up and 5 wrap down very small knot and needs no glue.

http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/Articles/article_arby_albertos_knot.shtml

Jig Man has got you covered. Albright for sure. The Alberto seems cool too. I think the Albright is the knot designed for combining lines of dissimilar diameters.

Uni Knot as Roadwarrier suggests.

And may I suggest you invest in the book, Fishing Knots by Lefty Kreh?

Published by Stackpole Books of Mechanicsburg, PA, you can find it in your favorite bookstore.

It comes with a DVD and it is excellent.

Try the albright I use it alot saltwater fishing to tie in a small piece of wire to mono to help with some of those toothy critters in the Gulf