Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Spinning Reels <$130

In the 2500 size range, what are your favorite spinning reels for under $130.  To me casting distance and line management are the most important aspects, then durability, weight & smoothness.  Capacity is not a factor to me.

I've been enjoying my Exceler 2500 more than my Stradic FH because it casts substantially further.  So, I'm looking for alternatives to the new, and more expensive Stradic FI.

I'm leaning towards the Daiwa Tierra (or Cabela's Prodigy).  But, the Cardinal 800/700, Pflueger Supreme and even the BPS Mag Spool series also look like they have potential.  Thanks

Leon

I have the larger Supreme, so I can't comment on the 2500 size model, but it is a sweet reel. I bought it for making long casts (which according to experts I don't need to do, right? :;)) and it really delivers. Light, and the drag has already been put to the test by Table Rocks' Spots and Smallies, and passed.

Thanks RSBreth.  What size Supreme do you have.  I'd probably go a bit larger with the Supreme since my goal is to stay about 10 oz. or less.  Although I don't need capacity, I have bought into the benefits of a wider spool.  Do you have the 30 or 35 size?  Cheers

My friend has a daiwa tierra and it is a really nice, smooth reel. He has nothing but good things to say about it. Ive been thinking of picking one up as well for a new finesse rig. Good luck im sure youll be happy with whatever you choose ;)

The Plfueger Presidents are nice reels.  I own a 35 size myself and have fished with the 40 size.  Very smooth.  They also have been tested on some nice smallies and they passed easily.  

Since you can afford it, the Supreme is probably going to be the ticket.  As far as I know, they are lighter than the Presidents.

I have the biggest one, the 40 size paired with a 7'6" med/power fast action rod. Mainly wanted something for casting smaller swimbaits, 4- or 5-inch gubs, or action tail worms on 1/4-ounce jigheads into the next county.

( For Smallies cruising flats)

It's been really nice so far, probably bigger than most guys would like.

i have 2 supremes and 1 tierra and they are unbelievable reels for the money but i was at bass pro the other day and fell in love w/the cardinal 800 the 700 lx is really nice too. the 700 lx was on sale for 59.00 reg 109 .00 but it was in store only they don't even have them on their website , the only reason i didn't buy one is they only had the 702 (really small) and the 706 (too big) the 704 would have been perfect.

PS my supremes are the 8035  ihave one on loomis bronzeback and the other on my mossyback.

Thanks for all the recommendations.  It seems like there are a lot of great choices.

I find it interesting that the Shimano Posse is not making a lot of recommendations.  The new line of Shimano spinning reels doesn't seem to generate much excitement this year.

The Stradic 2500FI won the 2007 ICAST "Best in Category" award.

The new reel incorporates many of the features previously found

only in the Stella. Without a doubt, this IS the best spinning

reel at its pricing point.

8-)

Thanks for piping in RW.  Do you think that its new pricing point has moved the Stradic FI out of the "Consumer" level discussions into a "Prosumer" level?  Or put another way, is it now priced above the other mainstream products that receive the most attention?

If you can wait it out a little, I suspect you will find a "deal"

somewhere, maybe on our Flea Market. Otherwise, I realize

it's priced (MSRP) above the range you wanted to pay. To

answer you question, yes...there is definitely a premium here.

Obviously the Stradic 2500FH @ $119 was a much better pricing

point.

8-)

Thanks for the insight ;)