Sign in to follow this  
MARSH MASTER

time to change line?

Just a question i've never known the answer to. On average how often should line be changed? Im a freek about it I change my line monthly. I see people who never change there line. They buy the stuff thats $3 for a thousand yards(bright blue or green) and never pop a fish off and were I fish we catch redfish every trip. I've even asked them how old is there line. Some say 2-3 years old. This drives me crazy. I spend a good bit of money on line. I use 100% flourocarbon(17 lb), xl(15lb), and power pro(65 lb) and I pop off a fish here and there. I don't know this is just a topic me and my buddies talk about. Just thought I'd share.

I fish braid with a 6ft. flouro leader on all my rods.  I replace the leaders every couple of months, but will hardly ever replace the braid.

Marsh Master,

Simple question - difficult answer.

I replace my line when:

1.  I am fishing a tournament.

2.  When the line gets low on the spool.

3.  After fishing heavy cover.

4.  At the beginning of the fishing season when I spool my reels.

I do check my knot after every fish and retie after two or three fish and during the day or after catching a large fish, be it a catfish, bass, bowfin, etc.

Long Mike can fish briad and change his leader which is very smart and works for him.

I don't do that as I like the monos and copolys and flouros and I also do a lot of cutting off damaged line as I fish so I deplete the line on the reels as the day progresses.

If you want to save money then I suggest spooling some line onto your reels and then using the "uni knot" tying sbout 25 yards, or double your casting distance plus a 5 to 10 yards, onto the base line.

By doing this you can use less line.  Just be sure that "uni knot" is secure and that it does not come off the reel when fishing.

Everyone does things different so there is no right or wrong method.  Just use the method that works for you.  ;)

Just a question i've never known the answer to. On average how often should line be changed? Im a freek about it I change my line monthly. I see people who never change there line. They buy the stuff thats $3 for a thousand yards(bright blue or green) and never pop a fish off and were I fish we catch redfish every trip. I've even asked them how old is there line. Some say 2-3 years old. This drives me crazy. I spend a good bit of money on line. I use 100% flourocarbon(17 lb), xl(15lb), and power pro(65 lb) and I pop off a fish here and there. I don't know this is just a topic me and my buddies talk about. Just thought I'd share.

I don't change very often, only when the line gets too low from retying or I want to change to a different brand or size. I use that $3 stuff for backing, but fish with name brands that are typically $5-8 for 300 yards or so. My line can last for years with proper storage.

i usually change my line once a year unless i happen to get few overruns i can't pick out.....i spool it on in the spring and if all goes well i strip it off in the fall.....

If it's mono, every reel I fish gets respooled that night. I use a lot of backing so it does not run into a big expense.

IF IT'S FISHED THE LINE COMES OFF THAT NIGHT OR BEFORE IT GOES BACK TO THE LAKE.

This keeps backlash problems to a mininum and I don't remember the last time I got broke off.

Braid gets changed about every two months.

I refuse to cut corners on line or terminal tackle of any kind.

I usually change line when the spool gets low. It also depends on the type of line and how much it is... I'll leave a spool of gamma edge on for much longer than an old spool of yo-zuri hybrid...

With copolymers, fluorocarbon and braid the line doesn't get "old".

I fish Yo-Zuri Hybrid and Hybrid Ultra Soft. These lines get changed

as needed. I replace 80' - 100' yards of fresh line, the rest is backing.

8-)

I change out line on my reels fairly often, and for several reasons.

If I've backlashed it badly, I think the kinks weaken the line line, so it gets changed.

I fill all my reels up to the bevel on the spool lip. Whne it gets down about 1/16", it gets replaced.

Some of my reels see less use than some others. I change the line on these when I think spool memory has become to much.

If I'm taking a "special" trip; one that is costing me some money, I'll put on new line.

When feathering the spool, you can feel the knot joining the line to the backing well before it comes off the spool. When I can feel the knot, I re-spool.

Fishing is a multi-variable equation to solve and most of the variables are out of our control. The condition of your gear is one variable you can control. So, I change line often, clean and relube my reels often, and try my best to keep my tackle well organized.

When it's time to change line, try this. Tie on the longest casting bait you normally use on that particular rod/reel. Make a long cast. Pull out enough line to let the bait hit the bottom. Pull off a few more yards and tie a knot in the line. Crank it all back on the reel. Now when you change line you just strip it off down to the knot, cut it off, thread the new line through the guides, tie it on the old line with a back to back uni knot, and fill the reel up. You only have to do this the first time. I've saved a lot of money over the years doing this. I'm guessing I put on about 60 yards of new line on most of my reels with each re-spool. My cranking reels get a little more than that. I make a lot longer casts with cranks then I do with plastics or jigs.

Cheers,

GK