Sign in to follow this  
Bream Master

Fly fishers: ever use saltwater flies for bass

Just curious because they look like something a bass might strike.  I bought two, Bend Back in green and white size 2 and Deceiver in blue and white, also size 2.  Just give me your thougts. If not productive, I'm gonna return them.

Oh, I'll be throwing them on a 5 wt.  Maybe a little too small a rod, I'm thinking.  Your thoughts.

Thanks guys.

Don't know about the first one, but a Deceiver will catch anything that swims.

Good luck,

GK

The majority of my purchased "bass flies" are actually saltwater flies. I tie all my stuff on SS hooks and tie them for the salt just because I use them in both. I also tie weed gaurds in most of them, so it doesn't matter if it's an oyster bed, hyrdilla matt or a brushpile, I can use the same stuff. I like BIG streamers for bass, Lg and Sm mouth... the trouble is that if you don't tie your own it's hard to find big stuff and if you do it's tied so dense that it's hard to cast from all the water weight.

If you have trouble with the 5 wt. you can take a small scissors and thin out most flies a little so they hold less water and cast easier. (streamers)

I think you'll be ok with the flies you mentioned, if they are too heavy you will just lose a little distance on the cast. If you cast shorter distances, the extra weight will help load the rod at closer range.

Most of it relies on your ability to cast... I have friends that cast real heavy flies with ease while i can not. Good casting skills prevail, almost always. (I can say that because I see friends do easily, what i struggle with!!)

I've heard good things about the clouser minnows but haven't tried one yet.  So far I'm a popper fan so I'd better get a sinking line and learn some new techniques.

Cabelas fly fishing catalog has a section on crossover flies if that helps any.

I have 3 real good saltwater patterns that are deadly on both LM and SM bass. The first is the clouser minnow, probably the best fly ever tied, not the little tiny ones but the huge surf casting ones that are meant for stripers and bluefish. Second is the Crazy Charlie, it is meant to be a bonefish fly but it imitates a small shad perfectly. And third is another surf pattern one of my buddies tied me, I'm not sure what it is called but it is about 4 inches long, it is made from bucktail, and it has an epoxied head. Also, don't overlook pike and musky flies for bass, the surf plug is a topwater musky fly that works wonders on big largemouth.