Sign in to follow this  
MAYO

Ultralight

I am in the market for a new Ultralight setup for crappie and bluegill. I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg for it. My dad and I have started fishing more for the smaller fish here lately. Right now I have a cheap rod and an old daiwa thats probably 15-20 yrs old that my grandfather gave me. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

I am in the market for a new Ultralight setup for crappie and bluegill. I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg for it. My dad and I have started fishing more for the smaller fish here lately. Right now I have a cheap rod and an old daiwa thats probably 15-20 yrs old that my grandfather gave me. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Give us a budget The sweet spot is the 100+ area.

I got a Ugly Stick that does the job for me. I rather not spend a arm and leg to get the nicest pole for bluegill.

I'm using a Berkley cherry rod, and a Shakespeare 200A reel.  Cost like 40 bucks, easy.  The rod is a 5'6" rod, and it does the job very well.  :)  Caught my 4.6lb bass on it, no problem!  ;)  Great customer service for both, also!  :)

St Croix Triumph 5-0 UL spinning rod

Abu Garcia Cardinal 100U reel

4 Lb Sufix Elite line

My vote is flyrod for bluegils. 2-4 wt for fun. Takes some pratice though but bluegills are easy takers and its a blast. If you want traditional I have an avid that I really like. Its 5'6 and I have a small president reel on it. Its a lot of fun also and I actually take some bass on that also.

Vic

I currently use a 6'6" St. Croix Triumph ML and a Quantum Kinetic 20 reel with 4 or 6 pound Gamma Copoly line.  

In the near future I am wanting to get a shorter, 5'6" UL probably a Lightning rod and smaller UL reel either the Abu that Jake mentioned or a BPS extreme.

BPS MicroLite rods are always going on sale. I have two, and they are perfect for panfishing. Slap a Symetre on one, and your set for around 100 bucks.

A 3wt fly rod is also a great option. Temple Fork Outfitters has a very nice 3wt for around 100 bucks. Add a cheap reel and a good line and you're in the 200 buck range.

Cheers,

GK

I've got a little Eagle Claw "Featherlight" rod (4'6", I believe) with a Daiwa Regal 1000 spooled with 4lb Trilene XL. It's far from top of the line, but it's one of my favorite rigs. I've caught tons of bream and a few small bass with it.

my favorite is a 4'6" shakespeare micro lite paired with some cheap mitchell spinner reel i got from some other combo years back. i put about 14lb power pro braid on it and that is almost exclusively my worm rod. sounds weird, but i caught a 9lb 13oz bass on it and will use it again tomorrow. its got serious backbone if you can find one in medium action  :)

My vote is flyrod for bluegils.  2-4 wt for fun.  Takes some pratice though but bluegills are easy takers and its a blast.  If you want traditional I have an avid that I really like.  Its 5'6 and I have a small president reel on it.  Its a lot of fun also and I actually take some bass on that also.

Vic

I love Fly Fishing for them! I got to get a light rod for them though. My trout rod is way too heavy haha.

I have a 6' G-Loomis GL2 ultra light w/ a Shimano sedona 1500 spinning reel that Im looking to sale for around $75.00. if interested please email.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably go with a bps microlight as a few suggested or a cheap berkley. For the reel I still am undecided. Something by shimano or pflueger. I have never owned anything made by pflueger so I need to try a few out in the stores. I will re-post when I pick something out. Thanks again everyone.