Sign in to follow this  
Smallie4130

What reel to buy

Hey all, Im going to be buying a new spinning reel today and was wondering what suggestions you may have.  Unfortunately there is no BPS near me yet so I have Dicks and Gander Mountain to search.  Im hoping to spend around 100 bucks and Ive been looking at a Pflueger Supreme 8035mg and the Shimano Symetre 2500.  I mostly fish bass in creeks and a good deal of smallmouth fishing on the river.  So if anyone has any suggestions in around that price range, I would be receptive.  I was also looking at a Stradic or Saros but wasnt sure if the extra money was really worth it.  Thanks for any help you can give.

I haven't fished either of those reels but I would get the Symetre they feel pretty nice.  I do have a stradic 2500 that is a few years old but I love this reel.

I hear the new Stradics are amazing and I am looking to pick one up soon.

Welcome aboard!

Shimano Symetre 2500 is a fine reel. With proper maintainance it will

last for years. Strong, smooth, silent and reliant...My Shimano reels

are as nice or better today than their first day out of the box!

8-)

So you dont think the extra 90 dollars is worth it on the Stradic?

I second the Stradic, I also have owned one for about three years. If you have the extra cash to spend I would consider it.

If you have the money, I would buy the Stradic 2500FI. This is the reel that was awarded the 2007 ICAST "Best In Class". The Stradic incorporates many of the features that were previously only offered in the Stella.

8-)

Excerpt from original post:

I was also looking at a Stradic or Saros but wasnt sure if the extra money was really worth it. Thanks for any help you can give.

:)

;)  

Edited and corrected. :)

8-)

Daiwa advantage blows the stradic out of the water, i have both it's cheaper too. Much smoother greater casting a nice thick bail and every daiwa and shimano I have has held up under abuse. Seriously check out the daiwa multiple people having problems with new stradics never heard one complaint about the advantage ( although daiwa sold much less ) still try out the advantage, you'll fall in love with the 2000 or 2500. The finish on the reel is soooooo nice and the red accents it also has real four gearing found on daiwas 300$ + spinners. IIRC 8 bearing s check it out. :)

Stradics nice too

I have two Crucial spinning rods (7'2" ML dropshot and 7' M), both with Shimano reels.  The 7'2" ML has a Symetre 1500 and the 7' has a Saros 2500.  Both are great reels, very smooth, nice drags, and look good, too.  I prefer the Saros a little more because of the upgraded features it has over the Symetre (one-piece bail,  new spool design, harder gears, etc..).  I bought the Symetre a few years ago for ~$80 and just got the Saros a couple months ago for $100 on eBay.

Shimano is coming out with a newer version of the symetre so the prices on the current ones should be dropping soon. I would wait.

The price has dropped, very little I might add, by ten dollars at Dicks currently to 69.99.  The supreme is discounted to 80 but its not the 8035, its the smaller one.  Im about to leave now and head to both dicks and gander to check things out.  Then Im going with the girlfriend to a pond I found out about from this website today.