Sign in to follow this  
Noboat

Knot Problems

I have lost about 4-5 fish this year when my knot breaks or just simply pulls loose.  I have been tying the "Trilene Knot" for 25 years and have never had issues until now.  I know there is a ton of different knots out there, but what are the betterones to use as far as strength, ease of tying, and longevity?

I will add that some of the lost fish came after catching a few and therefore causing some stress on the knot.  However, this has not been an issue in the past.  Also, I am mainly having this problem with mono (Stren if that matters).

Palomar or Improved Clinch are the ones that work best...

Do a search for "knots" on the forum, and you will find a wealth of knowledge.

P-A-L-O-M-A-R

I use the palomar knot for everything except for spinner/buzz baits where I use a uni knot just because it is easier to tie.  I never have issues with the palomar knot.  Last night I got hung up on a stump with #14 silver thread and I could not get the line to break - just an example of how strong the palomar knot is.

Hey Noboat,

The Palamor Knot is one of the best knots you can use when rigging anytype of a bass rig.

I even use a Palamor Knot when tying a swivel to my Carolina rig or when I am fishing a swimming worm.

The secret to a Palamor Knot is to PULL THE LINE END TIGHT AND THEN PULL THE TAG LINE TIGHT.

By doing this you will not burn the line end of the line and only the tag end of the line will be burned.

I use a Palamor knot on all baits, including spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and crankbaits.  I mean every bait I use and all hook setups.

When using braid, I use a Palamor Knot and I put a drop of glue on it if I am concerned it will slip.

A Palamor Knot is easy to learn and it will not fail you.

Please check the Reel Mechanic's web site for knots or the web for instructions on how to tie a Palamor Knot.

If you can tie an overhand knot then you can tie a Palamor Knot.  ;)

Another vote for the Palomar. I never had breakage with mono and now that I use a lot of braid, it's just as good with that too.

I use the palomar knot for everything except for spinner/buzz baits where I use a uni knot just because it is easier to tie.  I never have issues with the palomar knot.  Last night I got hung up on a stump with #14 silver thread and I could not get the line to break - just an example of how strong the palomar knot is.

You can tie a palomar on a spinnerbait or buzzbait,  without the lure.  Let me try to explain.  

Be sure to use a fair amount of line.  Do not try to save line by trying to tie it will a small amount of line out.

1. Tie your over hand knot but,  leave it very loose.

2. Reach through the single loop with your thumb and forefinger.

3. Grab the double loop.

4. Pull the double loop through the single loop.

5. It is important at this point to spread your fingers to open the double loop. (this move flips the position of the single loop and is important)

6. Drop the blades of either bait through the double loop.

7. Lube with spit and snug tight.

It is easier to show than explain.  I learned this from Bobby Murray years ago at a seminar.  Amazingly easy and fast.

If you've been tying it for 25 years with no problem, I'd guess it's just a bad spool of line. For the sake of spreading information for others on the web to read, I'll say that literally just this weekend, I fished a new knot with fluorocarbon line, which fluorocarbon is infamous for breaking at the knot. The knot was called a San Diego jam knot, and I am sold. It supposedly can handle 95% of the lines strength. I pulled a good amount of fish out of through some very thick stuff with a strong current and had no breaks. I think the most important thing to note when tying your knots is to wet the line when you cinch it so the line doesn't burn, that seems to be the culprit for most breaks. But if you've stuck with a knot for 25 years and have a lot of confidence in it, stay with it and try a different spool of line.

Definitely tie the palomar knot as often as possible... I've rarely had anything go wrong with it. Best knot hands down! For lures with trebles and such, sometimes I use an Improved Clinch knot and it does the job just fine. I definitely agree though with allenriddle.. If you've been using that knot for 25 years with no problems, then it's probably just a bad spool.

i read a flourocarbon line matchup recently and the best success was with an improved clinch knot and the palomar did very well also. interesting that berkley recommends the trilene knot for their flouro, eh?  :;)

I always use these 2 knots. I used to tie with a trilene knot on flouro, but it just didn't seem to hold like I wanted.