Sign in to follow this  
anglermangler

new to baitcasters

whats up everyone? 1st post here as well.

I went to cabela's over the weekend and bought me a baitcaster to try out since i've always used spinning reels. Anyway, i bought a Cabela's Tournament Fish Eagle 2 (expecting it to be $50) i was pleasantly surprised when i got to the check out line to be told it was on sale for $29.99 so I check out with my new baitcaster spooled by the guys at the reel counter with 10lbs tess mono and my fiances new trigger spin rod. So we go home as we were out of town visiting my brother in st. louis and we wake up early and hit the lake by about 7 or so and i set my adjustment knob for my lipless crankbait take my first cast and what seems to be right as the lure hits the water, bam birds nest. So, i chalk one up to in experience, untangle the knot and reel it in, re set the tension knob which i thought was odd to have to do but i get it set and i cast again and as the lure is about 10-15 yards from me in the air BAM a HUGE birds nest. Work on it for a bit can't get this one out so i talk to my fiances dad who fishes BPS baitcaster and he gets it untangled with his knot picker and trys to set the resistance on the lure and the speed never changes and as were messing with it i notice that the knob will hit a spot click and loose all tension and i didn't say anything and about 2 minutes later he asked me if i noticed anything and we both decided the mechinism was probably broken but he went ahead and just tossed a cast out into the grass and before it hit the ground got a massive birds nest.

I was just wondering if this was a common problem with these reels as i'm sending it back to cabela's to get a replacement just didn't know what to expect when it got here.

thanks all

Replace it and then take another whack at it and let us know what happens.

I loved mine. Then it got stolen.

I just got two new ones. My Abu Garcia BlackMax low profile casts great. My uncle just got me a Shakespeare Dimension Plus. Its the best one I have had. It comes as a combo at Cabelas, and has 10 ball bearings.

I would bet the reel is fine. Not the top of the line but useable. Practise makes you a bait caster.

anglermangler, Welcome to the forum!

RW has given you some good advise, as well as the rest of the anglers here. I have been casting BC reels for over 30 years, and I agree with NBR "lots of practice makes you a bait caster" even I get professional over runs (big big BIG birdsnest) nowdays if I don't pay attention to what I am doing.

So once you get the reel and rod dialed in keep the practicing up. ;)

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

IMHO it is well "worth the headache to fish with a baitcaster"! WELCOME to the forums!!!

As Ever,

skillet