Sign in to follow this  
Spades

Different Reels

Probably here this question quite a bit but...

I have both a bait casting reel and a spinning reel I do different types of fishing like crank baits, spinners, fishing with worms and minnows. But I am befuddled as to when to use what one. Can someone give me a brief overview as to when to use what type of reel and why. Thanks ;)

1. Bait caster-----Any lure over 1/4 oz.

2. Spinning reel-----Any lure 1/4 oz. and below.

i fish a spinning rod/reel when:

1) casting really light lures

2) when i want the lure to fall straight down without me stripping out a bunch of line by hand (e.g., dartheading or dropshotting)

i don't fish a spinning reel whenever i can do the same or better with a baitcasting reel because i like the feel and control better of a baitcaster and i don't have to worry about line twist.

Fortunately both reels can get the job done for most situations. The already provided guidelines are an excellent recommendation.

Bottomline it boils to down preference for each application. I am one who loves to use both because I see both as tools.

Fishing from a boat: I bring 4 rods, 3 baitcasters and 1 spinning. The spinning reel is rigged for dropshotting, a technique I HATE, but will catch fish when nothing else seems to be working. For everything else, I prefer baitcasters.

Wading Streams: When wading small streams, the spinning rig is definitely easier to use.

Shore Fishing: Depends on the pond. If there are a lot of overhanging limbs to battle, I'll bring a short spinning rod, this usually gives me a more accurate cast with very little arm movement.  If I have room to move along shore, I'll choose the baitcaster.

This is all personal opinion. Some guys can do it all with a spinning reel. Some guys can do it all with a baitcaster. I like a little of both.