Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Least You Would Spend for Satisfactory Jig Rod

What is the least you would spend (street) to get a satisfactory Jig Rod.  Please comment about your model preferences and your style of Jig fishing.

I am assuming that Jig fisherman who primarily watch the line can get away with less expensive rods than those  who rely on feel.

I would like to start Jig fishing and would like a sensitive rod that transmits the strikes.  I'm looking to see if it can be done for <$200 or even <$150.

I found that my Techna AV is substantially more sensitive than my Crucial, but at 7'0" is a bit long for bank fishing.  Thanks

Leon :)

Jig fishing is one of those baits you want to spend as MUCH AS YOU CAN, to get that sensitivity.

$200 is a great price point in my mind. I have a Dobyns 734, 765, and 766. Depending on conditions (cover, wind, size of jig) I use one of the 3.

All very sensitive.

For me jiggin is an upclose affair, so 1/2 way across the lake casts are counter productive. My current jig rod

6'6" MH/fast Cabelas Fish Eagle II baitcaster, 80 bucks normally and I got last years model( They put a new reel seat on this year) for 40 bucks!!!!!!

Steve, 7' is a good length to get distance for open conditions (where I used to do a lot of my fishing).  I found a new place that has great cover for fish, but poor access to the water for the angle.  Sometimes I'm casting under trees or trying to cast through a 2 or 3 ft openning in the cattails.  The longer rod doesn't seem to allow as much control over the tip when working the bait.  Also, so far I have been more comfortable with shorter handles.  7 footers usually have a longer handle than 6'6" rods.  I can easily cast & control my 6'3" Crucial and its 6.25" handle with one hand.

Muddy, I knew you were using at least one Fish Eagle II.  I'm shocked to see you abandon your Pfluegers :)  If I remember correctly, extreme sensitivity is not a primary consideration for you.  So, I assume that you are a line watcher.

This weekend, I had an epiphany when I realized how sensitive my Techna AV was.  Having used it mostly with moving baits, I was astonished at how different it was to feel the rocky bottom (in contrast to my prior rods).  Has me hooked on sensitive rods for bottom fishing.  :)

Good observation, I am primarily a line watcher, but the Eagle II are not cuesticks they are sensitvie.

$100.  A Shimano Compre is the least amount of rod capable of properly discerning bites and hard vs. soft bottom medium.  More expensive rods/graphite can further signal bites in deep water, discern bottom mediums of all types, and decipher structure better, but the Compre is at least capable.  

$100.  A Shimano Compre is the least amount of rod capable of properly discerning bites and hard vs. soft bottom medium.  More expensive rods/graphite can further signal bites in deep water, discern bottom mediums of all types, and decipher structure better, but the Compre is at least capable.  

Exactly my thoughts my compre hasn't even seen water one don't wanna use it :-/

$100. A Shimano Compre is the least amount of rod capable of properly discerning bites and hard vs. soft bottom medium. More expensive rods/graphite can further signal bites in deep water, discern bottom mediums of all types, and decipher structure better, but the Compre is at least capable.

Exactly my thoughts my compre hasn't even seen water one don't wanna use it :-/

It isn't doing any good being dry!  I had a quiver of 10 or so Compres when they were the brown blanked version.  They were great.  I also owned a couple of Croix' Premier rods.    The Compres were my all-around favorites.  Around that time I purchased my first Loomis...an IMX, and the sensitivity blew me away, but I still rely on my roots of fishing with $100 rods to give recommendations.  The Compre isn't an IMX, but it won't limit you.  I'd take it over a gl2 anyday...

Thanks Natural.  Now that you've graduated to higher-end rods such as the IMX & GLX, what is the least expensive rod that YOU would want to fish yet, i.e. sensitive enough that you're not wishing you had your premier rod with you.  Cheers!

Your jig/ soft plastics rod should be your most sensitive equipment.

There are a number of mid-range rods that are quite nice, but if you

have the dough, step up!

8-)