Sign in to follow this  
shorefisher

New baitcast reel groans on a long cast

I just bought the LH Quantum Energy PT 2 weeks ago and have less than 100 casts on it and sometimes if I'm casting a spook or other heavier lure it will vibrate and groan on a long hard cast where the spool moves quickly. I can even get it to groan while ripping line out from an overrun.

I have the cast control knob set correctly for the lure and the brakes are set at 40-50%.

Is this normal or is it a sign that something is wrong or failing early? I can still take it back so I would like to know if this is something I need to return or if it's something that's normal on a hard cast.

Its not a huge deal. It needs OIL! Go to Quantum's Website, or call them, and search for a lubrication chart. If you cant find one, call them and send it in for a lube job. Dont worry, its not the end of the world... but it is strange to happen on such a new reel...

uhhh,

Never mind...

Take it back for exchange and keep doing that every few months until you decide you have had enough.

:;)

The brakes on my Quantums make a whirling type noise when they engage. Maybe this is what you are describing? I notice that Quantum brakes are noisier than most.

I am not talking about the normal whirring noise when the brakes engage. It's like a shuddering groan...I'm trying to think of a parallel...you can feel the vibration. It's like something is rubbing...it doesn't sound normal but I didn't know if it was normal with a long hard cast with a heavier (1/2, 5/8 oz) lure. On a cast the brakes will engage and it will start whirring but then start vibrating and groaning. It does seem like something is loose or maybe a lack of lubrication but on a brand new reel, it doesn't give me a feeling of confidence. It's like the spool is rubbing and vibrating on something. It doesn't make any noise on the retrieve.

I guess what I should ask is can any of you make your newer reels make a loud groaning sound with a hard cast? Anything beyond the normal brake noise?

RW I don't understand your suggestion?

Thanks guys

RW I don't understand your suggestion?

Any new reel with any problem right out of the box should be returned for exchange.

I'm not going to "fix" a new reel.

Quantum has a well know reputation for problems with quality control.

My other comment alluded to having more problems down the road.

At every pricing point, I think other brands are better alternatives.

8-)

Gotcha RW, that's what I thought it's just I didn't want to do that if it was normal and I would've just ended up with the same problem anyway. I'll take it back. Thanks

Any new reel with any problem right out of the box should be returned for exchange.

I'm not going to "fix" a new reel.

On second thought , i completely agree with RW. A new reel should act just that, NEW. I have had several problems with Quantum products, reels especially. SEND IT BACK!

I always open a new reel to check if its lubed properly. It could be a problem with that Quantum hot sauce, I hear its not all its cracked up to be.

Abu Garcia Reel Oil... Cant beat it with a stick if you wanted to...