Sign in to follow this  
K_Dub

Good set up for fishing senko?

Well i havent fished in about 4 years, so i need some help. i was wondering if my current (old) set up would work for fishing with 4-5 inch senkos.

My set-up: Rod: 6Ft. 6 Inch Shakespeare UglyStick

Reel: Quantum XR3

Line: Zuri 275-Yard Hybrid Ultra Soft Line Clear - #6

Hooks: Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Sz. 4/0

???

You'll definitely be able to catch bass with plastic worms with that set up.  Here's some food for thought: when I changed worm rods from a fast action rod to extra fast, my hookup ratio went up.  I use a 6'8" St. Croix Avid with Shimano Symetre and #6 YoZuri UltraSoft.  I would give your current setup a try.  If you feel like you're missing fish on the hookset, try a rod with extra fast action.  May help you get a few more on :(

As for hooks, the octopus would probably work for wacky rigging.  For weightless, c-rig or t-rig I use wide gap worm hooks; various sizes depending on the size worm that I'm using.

Have fun out there ;)

Well i havent fished in about 4 years, so i need some help. i was wondering if my current (old) set up would work for fishing with 4-5 inch senkos.

My set-up: Rod: 6Ft. 6 Inch Shakespeare UglyStick

Reel: Quantum XR3

Line: Zuri 275-Yard Hybrid Ultra Soft Line Clear - #6

Hooks: Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Sz. 4/0

???

The ugly stik has got to go , too slow , upgrade to a fast or x-tra fast rod.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a carolina rig with a 20" leader and two brass weights.  I use a cone 1/8oz and a ball 1/8oz so they can make noise when i wiggle the rod tip.  I rig the senko in the center for more action.

I have had good success with both the senkos and the bass pro shops stick o worms too.

The rod upgrade will really depend on your budget.  The Shimano Compre is a great budget rod and can be had for under $100.  In the $100-$200 range, there are rods like Shimano Crucial, St. Croix Avid and others.  If you can get out to a Bass Pro Shop, go take a look at some of these rods and others.  If you're not in a hurry and see some rods you like; take some notes and throw these out to the masses here at the Bass Fishing Forum.  The responses can be really interesting as you have a lot of different opinions and ideas.  I've bought most of my rods and reels off input of other members here.

Good luck ;)