Sign in to follow this  
set_the_hook

line visibility

For the most part, opinions based on experience. A lot depends on water clarity and the type of lure or technique you're using. In gin clear water, visibility is an issue with finesse presentations (jigs and soft plastics). "Moving lures" are much less subject to line visibility problems.

8-)

I think line visibility is almost a non-issue except in the situation RW mentioned: gin-clear water with finesse presentations. Even then I don't think it's as much of an issue as people generally believe.

It would be very interesting to do a scientific study on line visibility as it relates to more or fewer bites.

I like the picture RoLo has posed in several threads: a fish sees a Zara spook walking on the surface with two or three huge treble hooks dangling off of it. The fish is about to hit the bait when, whoa! Back off - there's a tiny thread of something coming out of its nose - I ain't touchin' that thing  ;D

I don't use a leader with my braid and have caught numerous bass on slow-moving soft plastics in clear water. However, all that proves is that fish can be caught while using highly visible line. It doesn't say whether I could've caught more with a leader.

If I fished with a leader I'd never catch enough fish over a long-enough period of time to draw a valid conclusion, so I guess I'll never know and continue to go with my gut feelings.

I have been curious about line visibility for some time. Yesterday I took the time to try a little experiment.

We were fishing in crystal clear water with Bass lurking in hydrilla using Green Pumpkin and Watermelon Red Trick worms.

We were getting lots of action, but mostly 1 lb and 1 1/4 pounders, The day ended with twenty Bass all between 2 and 2  3/4 pounds.

My number 1 BC had Trilene xl on it and my number 2 BC had suffix Hi-Vis yellow.

The number 1 had a flouro leader and the number 2 had a Cabelas camo leader. I would switch back and forth from my number 1 to my number 2 and I never noticed a difference in strikes. Go figure!

I probably increased my catch ration with the Hi-Vis, because when the bass would make a run with the worm, I could see the line better.

In this case it line visibility didn't matter, but presentation sure did!

No, there hasn't been any studies on line visibility. There is no possible way to see through the fishes eyes. Fluorocarbon is deemed less visible due to having a light refraction index closer to that of water versus monofilament. I fish mainly stained to slightly stained water, but have been sold on fluorocarbon due to its density, which equates into heightened sensitivity. It's noticeable. As far as mono...I used green colored line for years, until I found that clear line actually seemed to disappear better than the green line...even in algae stained water. This is dependent on your line choice though...any mono that isn't perfectly clear will indeed stand out...and if you use a brand that doesn't produce a very clear 'clear' line...go with the colored varity. I used Trilene XT for years back in the day, and would still choose the green over the clear due to the clear not being truly clear...it has a slight milky tinge (Yozuri ultrasoft seemed that way to me as well...sorry RW ;)...just keepin' it real). I've noticed the milky tinge in several lines; mostly mono but some fluorocarbons are susceptible to it as well due to the resins used to make it soft enough for main line use. The milky appearance with some fluoro's appears only after the line is subjected to water for a long period, such as a day of fishing (Cabelas No-Vis is an example, as well as Triple Fish) Anyway...I use Trilene Pro-Grade fluoro and Pline CXX in crystal clear for mono. I'm done trying lines; these