Sign in to follow this  
Boett43

Upgrades for an Abu Garcia C3

What kind of upgrades can i do to this reel? Is it possible to buy a new spool or anything or add bearings??

As you know, the "3" in C3 is the bearing count. The C3 has 2 spool bearings and an anti-reverse bearing - total 3. The C4 has that plus a bearing on one end of the worm shaft. The C5 has that plus a bearing at each end of the wormshaft.

On the C3, you can upgrade the wormshaft so that it has bearings. You will then essentially have a C5 reel. You can upgrade the stock bearings from ABEC3 to ABEC7, steel or ceramic. You can upgrade the drag. You can upgrade the handle. There is a 6-pin brake upgrade if your reel has 2 pins.  You can do a spool upgrade.

You have to decide it you want to sink more into the reel than you paid for it.

Thanks alot Micro..can you reccomend some sites where i can pick some of these items up. Sorry but ive never attempted at upgrading an reel

Mike's Reel Repair carries most of the stuff.  I would call them before ordering and make sure you get the right parts.  

Wormshaft and idler gear upgrades.  Pawl upgrade won't enhance performance (IMO)...

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?cPath=47_49

Bearings upgrade...

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_48_135&products_id=6351

Drag upgrade...

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_66_120&products_id=75611

Daiwa handles should fit the Abu.  You can peruse the net for those.  

Thanks man your really helping me out. Do you know if they make a wiffeled spool for the C3?

Thanks man your really helping me out. Do you know if they make a wiffeled spool for the C3?

Now that I said it, I don't know if it's true.

You can probably get a spool for the 5600WS model reel and put it in yours (as long as you have a 5600 size C3). The WS is a C4 reel with a Wiffle Spool - thus "WS." You can contact Abu Garcia directly and ask about buying the spool.

5600WS.jpg

Otherwise, the only place I know that sells spool upgrades is Japan Tackle. They are expensive.

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/tuning_spools_abu.htm

If you are serious about this, you will want to contact Japan Tackle to make sure you get the right spool. I know they carry parts they don't list. I've never used them. But some members here have. You may wish to PM Redlinerobert or Jimzee. I think they've used Japan Tackle. They can probably give you some insight.

I would like to add that if you order from Mikes Reel Repair be prepared to wait.  I placed an order almost two months ago for one of the upgrade wormshaft and idler gears for my 5600WS and still have not seen it, and they have not responded to email.

The bearings and drag washers can be purchased from smoothdrag.com or castawaylakes.com as well.

Also, if you want a different handle BPS has some replacement handles for $10 that I really like on my 5600.

I would like to add that if you order from Mikes Reel Repair be prepared to wait.  I placed an order almost two months ago for one of the upgrade wormshaft and idler gears for my 5600WS and still have not seen it, and they have not responded to email.

Yup big wait to get the upgrade parts into the US from Canada.

You all keep forgetting to mention that Mikes is in Canada.....

The bearings and drag washers can be purchased from smoothdrag.com or castawaylakes.com as well.

Or in my supply shop....Bearings & Pads

Tight Lines!!!!    

I didn't realize Mikes was in Canada until after I ordered from them.

Sorry RM, I didn't know you sold parts as well, I thought you just did servicing.  Will look to you in the future.

You can get the parts directly from purefishing.com.Just get the part #s from the schematics page,and call them with your order.Their phone # is (712)336-1520. You can also upgrade your cog wheel with a bearing supported one from the Record Series reels.I have upgraded all my older Ambassadeurs with all the bearing upgrades,and they do make a difference!The shipping takes about 5 days(not weeks)and the prices are about the same as Mike's.

Sorry,wrong website.It's abugarcia.com.The dual bearing worm gear can be found on the schematics for the 5600C5,ad the bearing supported cog wheel can befound in the Record Series schematics.