Sign in to follow this  
quant PT

Need help selecting a rod.

I am looking for a rod to handle the heavy stuff.  I am looking for something 7-to 7-6 MH or H that I can use for flipping, pitching, frogs and heavy jigs and maybe even some small to medium swimbaits.  The cover on the lakes I usually fish is docks, brushpiles and laydowns (no matted vegetation).  I'm partial to Shimano rods but I'm open to anything.  Looking in the $130-$200 range.  I am planning to put a Curado E on it (when they are available) with power pro 65 ( welcome any suggestions on line as well).   I may go a little more expensive on the rod and get a Citica instead of a Curado.    My current baitcasting rods are a Clarus 6'10" MHF, Crucial 7' MXF and Crucial 7' M Crankbait. I need something that covers what these don't.

Any Suggestions?

theres an endless selection of rods in that price range.

reading through old threads will keep you busy for quite some time and give you a lot of rods to look at.

i would suggest a rod from fenwick.. i found a fenwick venture for 40bucks in a mh action and its a 7fter and i matched it with my pflueger presedential bc reel with 65lb braid and it can handle anything... i fish alot of heavy matted grass with this setup and i have no problem what so ever pulling 5lb plus fish through the grass...

For all of those applications I use a Dobyns 735C. It's a Med/Hvy Ex-Fast action rod rated for 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz lures. I think it's a little heavier than I would consider a Med/Hvy rod but it's perfect. It was designed for Frogs, Flippin, Pitchin, and small swimbiats. I like it so much I just got my second one in the mail. If you've seen any of my videos when I'm jig fishing that's the rod I'm using.

I have a 7' 6" Crucial that I use for flipping with a left handed BC, its a med/hvy rod and is very light. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I believe it was well under $200.

I haven't done much piggin/jiggin this year, but it sure doubles well for redfish and drum.

I have a Crucial 6'6" M XF tip and think it's GREAT! It's the only rod in that price range I've tried so take this with a grain of salt. If and when I need something with more backbone, it's gonna be a MH. Have a Citica 200D on my Crucial and IMHO WHAT a combo...

As Ever,

skillet

If you can wait a little the Zillion rods look great. A Zillion flippin stick with a Zillion Hyperspeed would be even better. The rods should ship soon.

Dobyns 765 is an awesome rod. The 766 if you want to handle really heavy duty stuff.

It's the best balanced flipping stick I've held, hands down. I can fish it all day without getting tired, unlike every other flipping stick I've tried.

For all of those applications I use a Dobyns 735C. It's a Med/Hvy Ex-Fast action rod rated for 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz lures. I think it's a little heavier than I would consider a Med/Hvy rod but it's perfect. It was designed for Frogs, Flippin, Pitchin, and small swimbiats. I like it so much I just got my second one in the mail. If you've seen any of my videos when I'm jig fishing that's the rod I'm using.

This looks like the perfect rod.  Who have you had luck ordering them from?  The nearest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away so I will probably have to order online.  

Also, would 65# power pro be too heavy?  

Thanks

You might check out the B&R Outlaw rod also. I bought one on Ebay, a 7'6" flippin stick in MH and I really like it. It's very sensitive and light for a full cork and foregrip handle rod. They also have a $50.00 replacement warranty also. Med price range around 125.00 I think. lp

You might check out the B&R Outlaw rod also. I bought one on Ebay, a 7'6" flippin stick in MH and I really like it. It's very sensitive and light for a full cork and foregrip handle rod. They also have a $50.00 replacement warranty also. Med price range around 125.00 I think. lp

I am convinced spit grip does not do ANYTHING for sensitivity.

Hey Chaddy how many split grip rods do you own???

Let me know if you want to sell any split grip rods.  i love em, and think they really enhance the feel.