Sign in to follow this  
bronzeback01

ROD STORAGE QUESTION

I own 5 rods

3 g loomis mossyback, bronzeback, and an imx

1 daiwa steez

and a st croix legend tornament

My wife is pregnant so the room that i keep my rods is going to

be the new baby's room so i have to move the rods .

my 1st option is a damp musty basement my 2nd option is a shed in my backyard , the shed is insulated and has 2 gable vents and a ridge vent but i live in newengland so the temp is all over the place , for instance this past springtime we had (2) 60 degree days in a row then( 3) 25 degree days and then back to 50 .Where do you think is the safest place to store the rods , will the cold or heat hurt them? (ps the shed can reach as much as 20 degrees over the outside temp . in the summer and 20 degrees below the outside temp in the winter.)

I would store them in a closet in the house or any place that can store them in the house. Just buy a rod rack and you'll be fine. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat600037&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&parentType=category&parentId=cat20166

the shortest rod is 6'6" and closet space is VERY LIMITED and under the bed is out of the question because due to limited closet space we use the space under the bed for storage, do you think the basement will be OK ?

Umm I'm not sure about storing it in the basement. I think it can mess up your line when stored for long periods of time like in the winter. My line is usually all broken up and frayed after a couple month in the basement. I would just wait for a more expirenced person to answer this.

If your talking long term storage you can box them up with some vermiculite and seal up the box the air tight, then keep them in the basement.  Use a 50/50 bleach and water on the cork to clean them and it might help fight off the mold.

The reels aren't really a problem those i can put in the original

boxes and put them in the closet or under the bed , it's the rods that i'm concerned about.

I leave my rods in my garage.  I don't think it has any effect on them.  It's not like they are in direct sunlight or out in the snow (not that we get any in TN).  When I lived in NY I kept them in the garage and they were fine.  If you are worried about the winter cold buy a rod sock to keep em warm. ;D

Why do you have to move them out of the room ? It will be a few years before the baby breaks them.

the temperature alone won't bother the materials. It's more of a principle than an actual problem. I will reluctantly admit that I keep my rods in the garage most of the time and I'm in central TX with daily summer temps in the 120's in the garage. :( It's not the best choice but it's all I have other than boat storage which is a metal building that gets even hotter than the garage!

The one big drawback is that you will have to replace your line much more often if it's mono...

You will need to clean them more often and be more careful around them since the garage is more prone to having things "happeneing" to them.

I used the Berkley plastic rod holders you can get at Wal MArt, Gander Mountain, etc.  You mount them on the wall and you can store your rods vertically.  They are not the best looking things, but it didn't matter to me.  You could also get a nice wooden rod rack.

Another option would be to build some PVC rod tubes.  I have made three of these to keep my rods in while they were in my storage unit this summer. I put all the rods in Cabela rod socks then out them in the rod tubes.