Sign in to follow this  
mdmaynard

Braided vs. mono vs fluorocarbon

Greetings all!

I have some newbie questions that may have been answered before but I am not finding my exact answer in the searches I have done.

I had been using nothing but eagle claw 8# mono line. The other day I decided to try some 30# test Spider Wire braid. Geesh I had heck with it, not so much backlashing but it acts as if it is wound to tight on reel and well not cast (hung up acting) then backlashes because of this.

So my first question would be what am I doing wrong.

Next question relates to proper balance. I have an old abu garcia c3 baitcaster It lists so much yards for 8#, 10# and 12#, so does this mean It will not balance properly if I put 20# test on it? I have read where some you have 30# - 50# test but when I look at different baitcaster reels I do not see any that list so many yards of 20# 30# and so on... they usually stop at 15# I believe is the highest I have seen. So how do you get by with using 50# test

and where does Fluorocarbon fit in all this.

My last newbie question again relates to balance....

As I said I have an old old abu garcia c3 (picked up at yard sell for 5.00 )and I have loaded eagle claw 8# mono on it again, my rod is a shakesspear 6'6" medium action I have my garcia on it with the 8# mono so would this be considered balanced?

I am hoping to sell off some stuff and buy a couple good quailty reel and rod but for now I have to use what I got.

Spiderwire is not very good braid, if you want to go that route use Power Pro or Suffix.

Braids and superlines have very small diamters for their strenght compared to mono and fc lines.  Your 30# spiderwire is probably close to the same diameter as your eagle claw mono.

Most baitcasters can handle a wide variety of line sizes but smaller ones handle lighter lines better and larger ones handle heavy lines better.

What size Ambassadeur do you have? (4600, 5600, 6600).

I would pick up some Trilene XL line in 12# for your baitcaster, that is a good all around line for casting gear

Do a search for all those line types here. There is a wealth of information that will help you. Every possible advantage and trade off for all three of those line types have been covered to the point that you will feel line you graduated from Line Science 101 for sure. ;D

What you are experiencing with that braid is something called "line dig." The thinned the diameter of the braid the more likely this is going to happen with braid.

With regard to your question about line capacity, what is stated on your reel suggest what the spool would hold given those lines as a typical mono. It does not mean your reel couldn't hold 20# line successfully, but it does mean it will hold less of it.

As for the right # test to use, this really depends on the scenarios you face. For example, where I fish, I need no more than 30# braid.

So start searching each of those line types. Good luck!

I would pick up some Trilene XL line in 12# for your baitcaster, that is a good all around line for casting gear

x2    

This is the only line I have used on my baitcasters for at least 10 years. I love it. It casts great and it is inexpensive. I throw all types of lures on this line.

Spiderwire is probably one of the worst lines on the market. Jesus Christ could not fish with it.

Powerpro or Suffix and your braid problems are history

Trilene Big Game is a great all around mono.

Braid dia. = mono dia.

10 lb. braid =2lb. mono

15 lb. braid =4lb. mono

20 lb braid = 6lb. mono

30 lb. braid =8lb. mono

40 lb. braid = 10lb. mono

50 lb. braid =12lb. mono

What size Ambassadeur do you have? (4600, 5600, 6600).

To be honest not sure, all the info has worn off It looks like it was once black in color but now it is all bare metal (silver) showing.  It is pretty heavy but works pretty decent.

Someday I would like to get a better quality newer reel, but for now it does the job.

To all on here, I appreciate your input/feeback.  on suggestion I have been reading the info on here about lines,  who knew something as simple a fishing line could have so much info and be so complicated.

I think I might try some fluorocarbon this weekend...

Mono for treble hook baits.

Fluoro and copoly for anything.

Braid and super lines for heavy cover and deep water or topwaters over pads, grass and slop.

Balance rod with reel with line by knowing the weights of the lines and lures for your rod and reel.  Lighter lines cannot hurt; heavy lines can cause damage to rod and reel.

Use higher test braid based on its diameter and how it translates into mono or fluoro test line.

Save your pennies and dimes and get a nice name-brand $75 to $100 baitcaster.

Lagor Day sales are around the corner so check out BPS, Peckers, Gander Mountain, etc. for some good deals.

Just keep on fishing.  :(

mdmanynard

Whatever line you use, be sure to get some KVD Line & Lure Conditioner and treat the line the night before you go and you will be amazed at the difference it makes. It is made specifically for braid and fluro but is great for mono too. Go to web site and check it out.

It has a multitude of other uses too. http://www.lineandlure.com/