Sign in to follow this  
Micro

My JM Elite Baitcaster pooped out,and my first problem with BPS

I bought a Johnny Morris Elite baitcaster during the Spring Classic. It's BPS's top-end reel and it usually sells for $219, but I got it for $40 off due to a reel-trade in. Over the last few weeks it hasn't acted right and my casting distance serious diminished. It also developed a whine that oiling only fixed temporarily. It had a one-year warranty so I decided to exercise it. I took it back to the store and explained my problem. The receipt shows $219 with $40 off for reel trade in. I decided to replace it with another Revo for $199. But I was told that since I got it on sale, that's all I could get back was the sale price. That struck me as odd. Had I bought the Revo back then, I would have gotten $40 off that reel. Since this was a replacement reel, I had to argue that. I pointed out the warranty allowed me to return it for reel of equal value. Therefore, it only made sense to apply the discount I got then to the replacement reel I got today. (What they were telling me was that I couldn't even replace with with EXACTLY the same reel since the same reel today costs $219.) This is a warranty issue, for goodness sake. After arguing that to several levels of manager, they relented. I walked out with my new Revo.

The downside of this is that I wll never buy another BPS branded rod or reel. The reel was fine for 5 months. I can understand a defect. But I can't take it when people disregard logic. Arguing with them was like arguing with my wife.

The upside is is that of anything goes wrong with my Revo, I know I won't have a wrranty problem.

Way to go puttin' up a fight micro.  You already know you have a better reel now.  Atleast your past that.  While I'm here, e bay has someone selling the winch shipped for about $160.  Deal or no deal?

Wow, I just exchanged my BPS Rick Clunn BC for similar reasons.  Not retrieving smoothly anymore and the braking system was not working smoothly.

I had no problems exchanging it for a Shimano Citica that was on-sale for the same price as the BPS one.  Actually the Shimano was $0.24 cheaper.  They even did the exchange even though the reel came as a combo.  I have never had any problems with our BPS here.

At least you got the problem resolved, that is the important thing.  But man do I hate having to argue over something so cut and dry as what you had to do.

Later, :)

Yeah, they essentially wanted me to eat the $40 discount I got in March when I "traded in" a reel.  I shoulda asked for that reel back  ;D

I know, I know, alright?

I didn't say a thing.  Just happened to be passing by and heard a snappy jingle during today's Cubs game.

I have never had any problem with BPS customer service or exchanging any product. However, I still don't fish BPS branded products.

8-)