Sign in to follow this  
jax

New to fishing and overwhelmed

Bear with me as I am new to fishing. I have been reading quite a bit over the last couple of weeks about rods and reels. The more I learn the more I am lost on where to begin. There are just too many options. I do not own any fishing gear at this point. I don't want a piece of crap but I am on a budget of about $60 for a rod and reel at this point. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum as this seems like an advanced forum. I can not find a newbie forum.

I live in Southern Indiana. I do know that I am more than likely not ready for a baitcaster. I will mainly be fishing from the bank. Since I know very little about fishing I am trying to find more of a multi purpose rod than anything. Just to state the obvious I will not be getting into bass tournaments anytime soon. I just want to learn to fish. I realize that gear is just as much preference as technique driven but I have no preference or technique at this point. Yes I realize this makes it astronamically hard to figure out what I need.

Dicks sporting goods has this on sale for $50 dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3027553#1

Is this one of their overpriced sales or is it worth considering. I know every brand has quality and then they have crap quality. I know next to nothing about fishing gear. Reviews are rare and hard to find.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone could at least help point me in the right direction I would be greatful. The guys at Dicks aren't very helpful unless you get into their top of the line gear.

Thanks,

Check your Dick's to see if they have a Shimano Sedona/ Shimano Convergence Combo. It should be on sale for $45. If they have it, get the Sedona 2500 on a 6'6" Medium power Convergence rod. Retail value is $90, $50 for the reel, $40 for the rod. It's a great deal.

Thats bologna, this forum is for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask a question no matter what. The only stupid question is one that you didn't ask. As for the link you provided, it is broke. Also finding a decent rod and reel for 60$ is kind of hard. In my opinion, the best advice on rod/reel selection for 60$ i can give would be go to wal mart and buy a Lightning Rod, i would suggest a MEDIUM power FAST action.

As for a reel, Abu Garcia Cardinal 300. I think paired with the Medium power Lightning Rod would get you started. Im sure others will chime in and give you a few more suggestions. A few of us have been in your boat and it can get overwhelming but 1 thing you should remember is, its just fishing.  :)

welcome aboard!

I don't see what size the real is but the rod looks OK in that combo.

I would pick up just a few lures to start off with, and stay out of the clearance boxes unless you know what your looking at (most of it is junk).

Maybe a few worms, hooks, and small spinner baits.  Just look around the forums for some tips.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about tackle just yet. I figure I will get a nice collection of that a little at a time. It is just amazing how many options and prices ranges their are. It is nice to have options but it is hard to know where to start.

I believe the reel in the link is about a 2500 to 3500 size. I'm not posistive though. I will have to check it out tomorrow. It does have the Fuji guides which I have read are supposed to be nice.

I will try to check out the Sedona combo when I go tomorrow.

I hadn't considered Walmart. I'll check them out also.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I frequent guns forums and I know how it feels to have newbies popping in and asking the same newbie questions over and over again. Some forums aren't so kind to newbies...  For the record I have been searching quite a bit for the last couple of weeks. I'm getting so I understand the the concept of the power and action but that doesn't help me with the bands and the value. It definately is overwhelming as to what fits my skills level. Or the lack there of...

Thanks again for the help.

Jax, I use a $30 shimano syncopate spinning reel.  I picked it up at wal-mart and it works just great.  They probably sell it in a combo for real cheap.

Welcome to the forums btw, I also started fishing just recently and this forum has been a great source of information.  There is always some nice experienced guys willing to lend a hand.

Welcome aboard. Glad you are with us.

Here are some suggestions to keep you out of the funny farm.

Go Easy on the Rods and Reels

All you need is a 6'6" medium heavy graphite spinning rod along with nothing larger than a 2500 series spinning reel. Anything over 2500 is overkill.  In fact,  I suggest the 2000 size as it will perform great for you.

Don't Be Concerned With All the Lines

Line can put you over the edge.  May I suggest an eight (8) pound floruocarbon line?  Extra Smooth will do fine.  Run your line through the Keving VanDam Lure and Line Conditioner when spooling the reel.

Terminal Tackle

Don't go overboard.  Purchase some WEEDLESS hooks in sizes of 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0.  One package each. This is all you need for hooks. Then consider some 1/8 to 3/16 bullet weights.  Pick up a package of the rubber pegs to peg your hook.

Baits

Don't drive yourself silly with baits. Pick up some Zoom 4 to 6-inch finesse worms in watermealon and green pumpkin. Get a pack of the same color Senkos or a "stick bait" like a Senko.  Learn to rig them both Texas and Wacky rigged. Get a package each of the pink or white trick worms, too. They work great on a spinning rig and I love to fish them.

Other Items

You will need a sissors and a long nose pliers. Keep them with you at all times to change baits, re-rig and to remove the hooks from the fishs' mouths.

Now you have a simple, economical and fun rig to go out and start fishing.

Remember to ALWAYS CHECK YOUR DRAG ON YOUR SPINNING REEL.

Make sure you can pull the line off the reel with about 2 to 2.5 pounds of pressure.

You can build on this setup in the future after you read articles on this site and forum and watch DVDs and videos this winter (nothing to do in your area until the Indy 500).

Your homework assignment is to start a Fishing File and to copy the articles from this forum and the posts to the folder for future reference this winter. You are to also visit various professional fishermen's web sites and read what they have to say and copy and past their information in your Fishing File.

Also get a subscription to Bassin' Magazine.

So don't go bonkers over your rig. Just make sure you purchase quality name brand items and one day you will look back on your first set up as it stands in the rod holder, collecting dust, among your many high-end and expensive rigs.  :)

Thanks for all of the advice. You guys have been alot of help.

Sam I never thought about keeping a journal. The idea never occurred to me. Reel side was the biggest thing I was having a problem with. Thanks for explaining where to set the drag. That was a question that I was waiting to figure out later.

Moby - Thanks for the link. I will definitely use that!

I read all the the link you posted road warrior. That is the hardest thing for new people to new forums is learning what to search for.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going shopping tonight. YAY FOR ME!!! I'll let you know what I come away with.

The Quantum Grigsby combo from Dick's is a great deal. Its normally $80 they marked it down to $60 and now for this week its $50. Its an 11 bearing reel paired with an IM8 rod. I am not a big Quantum fan but even I had to put a leash on the bait monkey when I saw that combo price.

I went with the Quantumn combo that I posted. It so seems to be a good deal that I couldn't pass up. With the coupon I only paid $40 for the combo. Its the best quality value for the money that Dick's has at the moment. Well at least under the $100 price range.

I don't know much about gear but the IM8 rod that came with it is very sensitive. I ran into another guy at Dick's that helped show a me few things. He showed me the throat test (testing the vibration with vocal chords). That was pretty cool.

I'm not sure of the reel size but it is 10lbs @ 120 yards. It has 11 bearings. It is a very smoother cast. The gear ratio is fast. Really fast. Almost too fast. I wish I could tell you the ratio but I don't know it. I do know it was faster than the Shimano 1500s and 2000s that the guy fishing with me last night brought. Hope that helps.

I also bought a Terminator spinner bait. The one with the memory metal. I got a Rapella medium jerk bait, white trick worms, 8lb berkley line. A buddy gave me some weights, hooks, and purple/brown colored worms.

Everything was on sale and I had the $15 coupon off a $75 purchase. Grand total of $59.36.

I had to take my new "toy" and use it last night. HAD TO!. I HAD to make sure it wasn't defective!

I went to a private 1 acre pond that hasn't been fished in awhile with a buddy and his brother from out of town. I caught 1 14" 2lbs bass and 1 10" 1lbish bass. Then we went to a small 5-6 acre lake after dark where I caught a couple small 6-9 large mouth bass. After dark I was using a borrowed black crank bait (I think :))

Overall I had a very relaxing time. I'm not sure why I waited so long to start fishing.

Thanks for all of the help and advice!

I ran into another guy at Dick's that helped show a me few things. He showed me the throat test (testing the vibration with vocal chords). That was pretty cool.

That one is too easy  :-X.

Next time your at Dicks you really need to pick up a Cavitron Buzzbait, it is the easiest and most fun lure to throw and the best part is, it really produces.

Thats bologna, this forum is for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask a question no matter what. The only stupid question is one that you didn't ask. As for the link you provided, it is broke. Also finding a decent rod and reel for 60$ is kind of hard. In my opinion, the best advice on rod/reel selection for 60$ i can give would be go to wal mart and buy a Lightning Rod, i would suggest a MEDIUM power FAST action.

As for a reel, Abu Garcia Cardinal 300. I think paired with the Medium power Lightning Rod would get you started. Im sure others will chime in and give you a few more suggestions. A few of us have been in your boat and it can get overwhelming but 1 thing you should remember is, its just fishing.  :)

X2 there is a cardinal combo at walmart that has a fenwick rod that is pretty good, shoot I still use the rod, but I upgraded the reel because I needed just a little bit more line capacity.

-tumnus

He showed me the throat test (testing the vibration with vocal chords). That was pretty cool.

:-?

huh?

It is just a neat way of showing sensitivity/ vibration on  a rod. You have one guy set the tip of the rod on his throat and hum while you are holding the rod. You can feel him humming. It is corny but gives you an idea about sensivity.

Bear with me as I am new to fishing. I have been reading quite a bit over the last couple of weeks about rods and reels. The more I learn the more I am lost on where to begin. There are just too many options. I do not own any fishing gear at this point. I don't want a piece of crap but I am on a budget of about $60 for a rod and reel at this point. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum as this seems like an advanced forum. I can not find a newbie forum.

I live in Southern Indiana. I do know that I am more than likely not ready for a baitcaster. I will mainly be fishing from the bank. Since I know very little about fishing I am trying to find more of a multi purpose rod than anything. Just to state the obvious I will not be getting into bass tournaments anytime soon. I just want to learn to fish. I realize that gear is just as much preference as technique driven but I have no preference or technique at this point. Yes I realize this makes it astronamically hard to figure out what I need.

Dicks sporting goods has this on sale for $50 dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3027553#1

Is this one of their overpriced sales or is it worth considering. I know every brand has quality and then they have crap quality. I know next to nothing about fishing gear. Reviews are rare and hard to find.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone could at least help point me in the right direction I would be greatful. The guys at Dicks aren't very helpful unless you get into their top of the line gear.

Thanks,

Well I just started fishing about 6 years ago.  I started with a 20$ combo from Sports Authority.  And it was a POS but I didnt know it at the time and I enjoyed the $hi+  out of that rod and reel.  In fact I paied more for the Line then I did the rod and reel.  (30lb braid at like 17$)  

As I learned more about fishing and saw that I liked it,  I started to upgrade my stuff a little more at a time.  AFTER I saw that I enjoyed fishing.

I would recommend not to get to worried about your gear to start.  Sure it would be nice to have, but its not needed to enjoy the activity.  In fact I bet that most people here didnt learn on 150$ rods and 100$ reels.  In willing to bet that more than not it was a zebco!

Enjoy fishing, then enjoy better gear.  Try not to let it get in your head that you are "missing out" not having nice stuff.

Thats my 2 cents.  Funny thing is that I STILL have that rod and use it more often than my "nice" stuff because it sits in my trunk and goes lunchtime-fishing with me.

See if you like fishing first, then worry about the gear.

Vic

Well, by the time I read your post you've already bought your combo and caught bass with it. GREAT :)! Just wanted to say this site and it's members is really user friendly and WELCOME to the forums!!!

As Ever,

skillet

I went fishing again today. For most of the day. Lost my Terminator spin bait. My line was apparently frayed and broke when I cast. I'm still ticked about that.

On the bright side I caught my biggest bass yet. Approx 16" and maybe 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.. I need to get a fish scale. It was healthy looking. Not a huge one but a nice start. I caught maybe 10 small ones the rest of the day.

I don't know much about bass sizes and weights. What is the average size bass? Specifically large mouth in Southern Indiana.

Sounds like fun.  I recently picked up a berkley digital scale at wal-mart for 20$.  Used it today on a 3.9 lbs, too bad it was my cousins fish and not mine.

I think the average size just varies depending on the lake you are in.

I went fishing again today. For most of the day. Lost my Terminator spin bait. My line was apparently frayed and broke when I cast. I'm still ticked about that.

On the bright side I caught my biggest bass yet. Approx 16" and maybe 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.. I need to get a fish scale. It was healthy looking. Not a huge one but a nice start. I caught maybe 10 small ones the rest of the day.

I don't know much about bass sizes and weights. What is the average size bass? Specifically large mouth in Southern Indiana.

Learn from your mistakes. You have to constantly check your line and retie once in a while.