Sign in to follow this  
OK Bass Hunter

Rod/reel combos for the Road trip aka the baitmonkey's big score

How many rod/reel combos are gonna be enough.

What types should I take crankbait/dropshot/flippin pitchin.

i plan on making next year and wanna know what I'm gonna need to pack. Not looking for models and makes yet but lengths and line test would be greatly appreciated.

While I am by no means an expert, what I would recommend for what it's worth to cover your bases are:

Finesse: 6'6" Medium Fast or XF spinning rod with 2500-3000 size spinning reel. Spooled with 6-8# mono or hybrid.

Crankbait: 6'6" Medium Moderate baitcast rod with slower (5.1-1 ratio) reel. Spooled with 10# mono or hybrid.

All around: 6'6"-7' Medium-Heavy Fast baitcast rod with faster (6.1/7-1 ratio) reel. Spooled with 12-14# mono or hybrid.

Flipping: 7'3"-7'11" Heavy Fast baitcast rod with faster (6.1/7-1 ratio) reel. Spooled with 60# braid.

At least this is what I would buy with my current level of knowledge. Good luck.

-shore

Try checking with a guide or the local residents so that your selection is appropriate for the local environment.  For instance, a 7'2" rod probably won't be your first choice if you expect to do a lot of skipping around docks or need to be accurately casting into tight spaces.

What he said, first find out from those who know the location and what baits and presentations you will be throwing. What good is bringing 7 outfits and only having use for 2 of them?