Sign in to follow this  
Bass Bro

Quantum bait casters

Do you know what models they were. Just because it has the brand name on it doesnt mean its any good. Same goes for the rod

Donnie Rakes,

Watch out that might be an older Accurist CX in Gold but the 400 is the stumper. It could mean that the reel has a GR (gear ratio) of only 4.1:1..

In the website line up Accurist CX are all 6.2:1. GR......

Look at the reel real close around the crank to see what the GR actually is.

:)

Hey Reel Mechanic..

Whats a good GR??  I've been fishing for a while.. but have never taken the time to actually know anything about the gear I use.. but it's sparked a good interest.. I'd like to know

If you have the extra $20, i would recommend the procaster rojo, pro guide combo at Cabelas. My cousin has the rod and it is nice for the price, and i have heard good things about the rojo. I think that that is a safer choice than the Quantum Combo. You know exactly what you're getting.

Hey Reel Mechanic..

Whats a good GR??  I've been fishing for a while.. but have never taken the time to actually know anything about the gear I use.. but it's sparked a good interest.. I'd like to know

It all depend on the technique the reel is used for.

IMPO this is how I use them...

7.1:1 good on all t-rigs and jigs.

6.2:1 good on all t-rigs and jigs.

5.1:1 or 5.4:1 spinner/buzz baits

4.5:1 Cranks.

3.8:1 Deep Cranks.

All GR's are approximate...And all is dependant on personal preference's

Tight Lines!!!  

I thought a larger GR was better for buzzbaits to help keep them on top of the water. But I am the newbie and you are the pro :)

It depends on what technique you like when using spinnerbaits. I would use a slower ratio if slow rolling the spinnerbait on the bottom, or yo-yoing it. For waking, a burner reel is more appropriate IMO.

I thought a larger GR was better for buzzbaits to help keep them on top of the water.  But I am the newbie and you are the pro :)

Im no pro angler, I am an educated ol f@rt reel service tech that's all.

If you were to go back and re-read the hype for the 7.1:1 burners, you would read that the reels were produced at that speed to get an EMPTY lure or hook back to the boat quicker, so and I quote "The Angler Can Cover More Water" not to rip buzzbaits or cranks.

From my experience.

Run a buzzbait to fast and it will roll, same with a crankbait.

We then found them to be real effective for quick turning the heads of hooked fish that were headed for cover, and, taking up slack line on a dead stick.

Donnie Rakes,

Sounds like a good setup......

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

I thought a larger GR was better for buzzbaits to help keep them on top of the water. But I am the newbie and you are the pro :)

Im no pro angler, I am an educated ol f@rt reel service tech that's all.

If you were to go back and re-read the hype for the 7.1:1 burners, you would read that the reels were produced at that speed to get an EMPTY lure or hook back to the boat quicker, so and I quote "The Angler Can Cover More Water" not to rip buzzbaits or cranks.

From my experience.

Run a buzzbait to fast and it will roll, same with a crankbait.

We then found them to be real effective for quick turning the heads of hooked fish that were headed for cover, and, taking up slack line on a dead stick.

Donnie Rakes,

Sounds like a good setup......

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Excellent info, Reel Mechanic, you always have great answers with sound advice.

Joe