Sign in to follow this  
bmadd

Affordable Arsenal

Let me start off by saying that I am a college student trying to build an affordable arsenal of rods for tournament fishing. I have been fishing in the collegiate tournament series and plan to jump into BFL's and possibly ABA's for the 09 season. I am looking for some feedback on some lines of rods. I would like to try and build this arsenal out of one line to make changing rods fluid. Reels will consist of E series Curado's and Citica's. The series are

1) Shimano Crucial

2) St. Croix Avid

3) Powell Max

The only rod I have any experience with so far are the Avids. I have one of the old models and am satisfied though not amazed by these rods.

I like the price point and the warranty with the Crucial line up. The warranty is a big plus seeing as how I tend to be a little rough on my equipment during tournaments.

The Powell line is also very attractive, especially at their newer price point. However, I do not like how the majority of their rods are all XF in action.

Give me your thoughts on these rods and also suggest others.

Thanks,

Braden

The St. Croix Avid series are great rods at their pricing point.

Virtually every combination of length, power and action is

available in this line-up. For the money, I consider the Avids

to be the "Best Value".

8-)

I have no experience with Powell but Cricials and Avids in my book at both good rods. The one thing I noticed is the Power on the Avids are more true to what you would expect. It really is noticeable with treble hooks. If you plan on doing a lot of cranking I would learn towards the Avid for that IMHO. Hope this helps and good luck at the tournaments and especially in school.

i guess i'll be the first to say powell, not ALL are XF, and from a sensitivity point they rival top of the Loomis IMO.

Let me start off by saying that I am a college student trying to build an affordable arsenal of rods for tournament fishing. I have been fishing in the collegiate tournament series and plan to jump into BFL's and possibly ABA's for the 09 season. I am looking for some feedback on some lines of rods. I would like to try and build this arsenal out of one line to make changing rods fluid. Reels will consist of E series Curado's and Citica's. The series are

1) Shimano Crucial

2) St. Croix Avid

3) Powell Max

The only rod I have any experience with so far are the Avids. I have one of the old models and am satisfied though not amazed by these rods.

I like the price point and the warranty with the Crucial line up. The warranty is a big plus seeing as how I tend to be a little rough on my equipment during tournaments.

The Powell line is also very attractive, especially at their newer price point. However, I do not like how the majority of their rods are all XF in action.

Give me your thoughts on these rods and also suggest others.

Thanks,

Braden

Lets say you break a rod for whatever reason and need another for x date/ time with shimano stroll into a cabelas or bps etc. pick up a new one, and you're back in business.

Why not check out Falcon rods? the new Cara's are amazing from what I hear.. I will be able to tell you first hand after tomorrow...

AL

No Powell experience here, but fish Avids and Crucials.  While I love St Croix rods, I'd choose Crucials.  They are everything Avids are in performance, cost less and are easily replaced if the need arises.  There is a Shimano Crucial for everything and everyone.

Don't have a lot of experience with what I would term high end rods :). I bought my 1st Crucial (baitcaster) not too long ago and it's everything I was told it would be. Last time I was in BPS I made the mistake of picking up a Crucial spinning rod and Ol' Banana Breath jumped dead square of my back ;D! Also, like others have said, you can't beat a lifetime in-store warranty...

As Ever,

skillet

I have one Powell and love it . Selling my other rods to switch to them. I bought mine for 200, and now flipping sticks are only 170, so its a even better deal. Great warranty too.

If you really want affordable,  but also want a arsenal, BPS extreme combos can not be beat.  This is a affordable arsenal.  But also everyone has a differ affordable amount.

If you really want affordable, but also want a arsenal, BPS extreme combos can not be beat. This is a affordable arsenal. But also everyone has a differ affordable amount.

The BPS Extremes are decent rods (I have three) but are not as sensitive as the Crucial. Not even close.

I have a 6'8" ML Extreme "Woo Daves" spinning rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 2500 and a 6'6" M Crucial paired with a Shimano Symetre 2500. I use both on a regular basis, and the difference in sensitivity between the two is like night and day.

Actually guys to get a new crucial you have to send it to the company.

Not true.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Warrenty_Services.html

Shimano Rod - Limited Lifetime Warranty

As used herein, Shimano will mean Shimano American Corporation with respect to United States warranty claims and Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE with respect to Canadian warranty claims. Shimano and Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE warrant to the original retail purchaser that this rod will be free from non-conformities in materials and workmanship. Shimano's sole obligation under this Limited Lifetime Warranty is to repair or replace, at Shimano's option, a non-conforming rod at no cost to the original retail purchaser other than the cost of packing, insuring, and shipping the rod to Shimano. This Limited Lifetime Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

To request warranty repairs on a United States warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid, to Shimano or return it to the retailer that it was purchased from. To request warranty repairs on a Canadian warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE or return it to an Authorized Canadian Warranty Center. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a brief note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.

Rods that are repaired or replaced by Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE under the terms of this Limited Lifetime Warranty will be shipped back to you with Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE paying the return shipping charges. If your rod should be found to require repairs outside of the coverage provided by this Limited Lifetime Warranty, Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE will perform the repair or replacement and bill you for parts, labor, and return shipping charges. Retailer and wholesaler outlets are not required to perform warranty repairs or exchanges on behalf of Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE, nor are they authorized to modify this warranty in any way.

THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO OR COVER ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROD NOT RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER.

Does the retailer really care if the rod broke from user mistake, apperantly most rods breaks are user error?

You can't fish with a warranty! I like to use rods that you don't ever have to use the warranty, because they don't break ::)

You can't fish with a warranty! I like to use rods that you don't ever have to use the warranty, because they don't break ::)

Ugly stick!!!