Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Headwound

New to the forum, new to baitcasters.

Hello from Illinois. I've been enjoying the forum for a while and I've finally got a question that needs answering.

I've been a spincast dude my entire life. This is mostly because I simply never saw a need for anything else. I've never had much problem with them, with the exception of a few breaks here and there due to my limited range of usable lines, but nothing to get too upset about.

Due to my extensive experience with spincasters, I've gotten quit good with them (even able to pitch 40 feet with one depending on what I have tied on).

However, I've recently made the switch to baitcasters just to see what all the fuss is about. I purchased a Black Max because it seemed like a decent reel for a beginner, and has a very reasonable price tag.

I've taken it out a couple times, and I've suffered a few backlashes as expected. Those are annoying, but I figure it just takes time and practice to work through those problems.

My biggest setback, however, is that I've yet to find any advantage to using the baitcaster. The biggest selling points for me were the distance and accuracy, and I see neither when using one.

Even with heavy bait, and the brakes all the way off, I only get about 30-40 feet with a cast at the most. That's hugely disappointing.

I'm also terribly inaccurate with the thing, but I'm guessing that has more to do with finness and practice, so that's something I'll work toward.

I'm also seeing problems with slowing the spool. Keeping my thumb on the spool only decreases the distance, no matter how lightly I handle it.

I'm using a 6'4 Shimano med-heavy fast action rod, could this be part of the problem? Would a lighter rod help the casting distance?

What exactly am I missing here? After two outings with short casts and splashdowns, I'm tempted to run back to my Omega so I can actually fish again. ;D

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Did you set the cast control knob? Brakes? what weight lure are you throwing? i would suggest a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce bait to start off with. Hopefully Reel Mech will post a link to his website for the Baitcaster 101 article, its a great place to start.

Did you set the cast control knob? Brakes? what weight lure are you throwing? i would suggest a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce bait to start off with. Hopefully Reel Mech will post a link to his website for the Baitcaster 101 article, its a great place to start.

Last night I was throwing a 1/4 ounce buzzbait, but I've tried everything. I even tried a texas rig with a 3/4 ounce bullet, and still got no distance. Just for kicks, I tried for a while with the brakes completely disengaged, without much increase on the range. No luck.

I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago while learning.

What I did is leave my spinning rod at home and force myself to fish the baitcaster.  I also took about 10 minutes each night for a week and practiced casting in my backyard.  Now I can easily throw the baitcaster farther and the accuracy is catching up quick.

Keep with it and practice and I think you will start reaching for the baitcaster over the spinning soon, I know I do.

Welcome!

Thanks for the replies. It's sounding like I just need to work with it.

My (admittedly limited) knowledge of physics and mechanics tells me that a spincaster should cast further than a baitcaster simply because the bait does not have to tow a spool by it's own inertia, and is allowed to unspool freely, with no incumbrance other than friction on the rotor and guides (all else being equal, such as line, bait, rod etc). This is obviously dependent on the design of any specific spincaster, and some will perform better than others in that respect.

Since nearly every serious fisherman prefers a baitcaster and claims they do cast further, there must be a flaw in my logic. If anyone cares to explain, I'm all ears and very interested to hear it.

If I can't get the baitcaster issues worked out by the fall bass feed, I'll be going back to the Omega. But I'll keep working on it until then.

Thanks again :)

Sent a PM.  :)

My understanding is that with a spinning reel when you cast there is more friction because the line rubs the top part of the spool as it comes off.

When casting a baitcaster the movement of the spool helps pull the line off with less friction.  Just a flick of the wrist can send it sailing.

I'm not a baitcaster guy but you learn to throw baits with one , you'll throw that spin caster in the trash.

Hey buddy welcome.  When I learned BC reel I went threw the same thing.  Just don't give up I almost did twice.  I just listened to the fellas on hear and I am lucky b/c I have someone close to me who gave me lessons. With a magnetic brake system I leave it on 8 and adjust the tention knob so if you hold the rod at 45 degree angel and hit the release the bait should fall slowly and when it hits the ground the spool needs to stop.  

My problem also was not keeping enough of my thumb on the spool so I increased the tention a little  to help.  More important is the form that you use don't try and throw it far and hard a nice smooth lob is how I learned.  I started at 20 to 30 ft.  Focus on were not how far. I hope this helps I'm glad the guys worked with me and I know they'll do the same for you keep at it and God bless.

im in the minority who prefers the spinning rod over the baitcaster. i actually only own two (one is reeless) and have 5 spinning rods. i only use the baitcaster for heavier stuff, 3/8 oz and heavier.

what i like about the baitcaster is that you can use your thumb as a brake to drop the bait before it hits the branches thus making it very accurate. this also creates less of a splash by slowing down the flying bait.

Hey, I was in the same boat as you about 3 days ago. Check out my previous thread created, (bait caster braking question).  I followed all the advice in there and now I'm casting alot better,  not as far as my spinning reel yet, but that will come with time. I've also found with a baitcaster I can cast far alot more easy, with my spinning i had to whip it, with my bait caster I just lob it.   My advice, start with the brakes on, then cast a few times, then lower the brake, then cast again you should notice a difference in the distance.

Good luck

hey jimmy, just keep at it...it is well worth the time and effort. to me at least, the main advantages of the BC are the smoothness, the power and accuracy. on BC's, the line winds back on at the same angle the line goes out, resulting in superior smoothness and no line twist. the line is then wound onto the spool directly whereas on a spincast, it is layed down sideways via a tiny ceramic pin. after awhile, you'll see that you can use your thumb to feather your lure to exactly where you want it too. good luck.