Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Coleman

Anyone try Berkly Rods?

I was thinking about getting a Berkly Lightning Rod? Looks alike a nice alt. to more expensive rods, and the reveiws seem to be pretty nice.

anyone have good things to say about these rods, or bad?

Don't own one but from reading here they seem to be decent inexpensive rod. Having said that, I think i would want to upgrade sooner or later :(...

As Ever,

skillet

BLR's are great rods for the money. I find them lighter and more sensitive than the Ugly Sticks that most people choose as their starter poles.

I have a 6',6" one piece medium action that I pair up with a Shimano Slade. I like to take that combo with me as a back up rig.

Ijust bought a lighting rod 7ft. mh for jigs and i love it can't beat it for the money really lite and sensitive.

cherrywood owner here. great rod for the bank and tossing around in the back of trucks.

Good rod for the price!  Another good one is the Shimano Convergence.

as owner of 3 berkley lightnins, i say the new lr are not as good as the older ones. they are light, and sensitive, but just to brittle for my liking. broke one just recently.(was a new one) now the old ones are TANKS. ive yet to break either my 7'mh casting and 7'm spinning. the cork breaks down fairly quick, and are lil heavy, but are plently sensitive and are quite comfy. again, this is just me. i end up breaking most of my rods anyways. ;D

I have some that are 10 yrs old and a couple newer ones. The newer ones are lighter and more sensitive but have stainless guides and both of them have line grooves worn into the tip guide. Neither of these rods ever seen braid, just mono. Replace the tip and they are "OK" rods for the money.

Abu Garcia Conolon, I would recomend that one. I picked up one of each and rubbed the tips against something, and I felt more with the Abu rod.

-tumnus