Sign in to follow this  
rondef

BPS Extreme Spinning Reel

I bought a BPS Extreme spinning reel less than two weeks ago, what a mistake.  I was out fishing tonight with a Cavitron buzzbait and when I set the hook the reel broke.  It broke right where the body meets the handle.  This is my second BPS reel that I am unhappy with.  The first one was a real noisy reel, now this.  Man am I disappointed in the BPS reels.  I guess it is time to upgrade this reel to a Shimano or Quantum.  

post-10436-130162925554_thumb.jpg

I use this some times because I can cast it longer distances than my baitcaster.  Thank god I had the baitcaster with me or this night of fishing would have been a bust.  I ended up catching two on the baitcaster.

I bought one of these reels the single worst product I ever bought from BPS

I guess it is time to upgrade this reel to a Shimano or Quantum.
I think you meant to say "Shimano or Daiwa."  A Quantum isn't an upgrade.

I like my Quantum Baitcaster (KVD signature series) it is a pretty sweet reel. I thought Quantum made some good spinning reels to. Am I wrong? I am looking at the Quantum (KVD40A) Kevin Van Dam Signature Series spinning reel. Has anyone used one of them that can provide some feedback?

Stay away from Quantum. I would take a low end Shimano over a high end Quantum any day of the week. The new Symetre 3000FJ are pretty nice. I am sure satisfied with mine.

I haven't owned a Quantum spinning reel but I think Shimano's would be a better bang for the buck from what I hear. Go for a Symetre, I think they are the best reels in their price range (you can get the older ones on *** for $67)

The absolute best spinning reel , for 60 Stinkin Bucks is

the Pflueger President,Case Closed~~~~~~~~~ ;D

The absolute best spinning reel , for 60 Stinkin Bucks is

the Pflueger President,Case Closed~~~~~~~~~ ;D

also a very good choice.

I have two Quantum spinning reels, a Catalyst PT and Energy PT, both a couple years old now.  I've never had an ounce of trouble with them.  Very smooth and well built reels (and good looking, if that matters to you).  I also have four Shimanos, two Saharas (2-3 yrs old), a Symetre (2yrs old), and a Saros (6mo old) and have never had any trouble with them either and they were less expensive new than the Quantums were.  Currently, the Shimanos get more usage, but I think that's just because of the rods that I've paired them with.  I still use and enjoy my Quantums.  The only Quantum reel I've had a bad experience with was a Code baitcaster that I bought earlier this year.  It was very rough right out of the box, so I didn't hesitate to get rid of it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I am leanng toward the Kevin Van Dam Signature Series (Quantum KVD40) spinning reel.  But I still have a couple of days to think about it before I take the piece of junk back to BPS for a refund.

Now I'm ticked. I just bought 2 of these on sale for $40.00 ea, which I thought was good. I really like the extreme BC reels and the rods seem pretty good so I thought that these would be decent. They felt good in the store.

Oh well, I wonder if BPS will take them back if I haven't used them yet.