Sign in to follow this  
Tooth Dr

Bait Cast Reels:

I have been using Garcia C3 & C4 reels for years, and I really like them, but...  I have read very favorable reports about the Rick Clung Reel from Bass Pro.  Your thoughts?

Tooth Dr

I have a Kevin Van Dam Siganture Series that I like a lot, I bought it at Bass Pro Shops.

to the forum

I had the BPS Rick Clunn BC actually had 2 of them. Both were defective. Never was fond of the magnetic braking system. Swapped it for a Shimano Citica about the same price(except BPS has the Rick Clunn on sale right now)but I hear they are pretty decent. Just never got to try one the was good. They are made by Pflueger.

Later, :)

I also had an Ambassadeur 5600C4 and a Hank Parker signature series 5600HPSS (Bass Pro Shops exclusive) and I liked them alot.

Then I bought a Bass Pro Shops Extreme. It's just one step down from the Rick Clunn. I fell in love with this reel and I now use it exclusively as my baitcaster. I plan to buy more of these, and since getting it I have sold my Ambassadeur reels.

Funny thing is, about the time I was buying that BPS Extreme is when the gears in the Garcias were apparently running their course. Both reels developed grinds in them that no matter how much I cleaned, relubed, oiled, it just would not help it. So I converted permanently to the Extremes and it's got to be the best baitcaster in it's price range I've ever seen.

If you like the Rick Clunn then I say get that one. It's a step up from the one I have so it must be a great reel, cause mine sure is.

You would be miles ahead with a Citica. If the new 2009 reels are more than you are willing to pay, you can probably find a new '08 for $60 - $75.

8-)