Sign in to follow this  
LunkerLust

Are Crucials strong enough for flippin' and pitchin'?

I'm looking for a rod that's light, strong and sensitive, for haulin' fatties out of the slop.

A local tournament fisherman had a Crucial and broke it. In reviews on BPS, a couple of more guys broke theirs. Are they designed more for other types of fishing?

If you've been using one for pitchin', let me know.

Here's a hint; I caught 8 bass in excess of 10 pounds last year on a Crucial, 3 were caught in the marshes of Southwest Louisiana and 5 were caught in Hydrilla on Toledo Bend.

Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH

Length: 6' 10

Line: 10-20 lb

Lure: 3/8-3/4

Power: Medium Heavy

Action: Extra Fast

I would say yes they can if it is the rod for the job, and I will also say it will depend on how the system (reel/rod) is setup.

Tight Lines!!!

Having a rod break can be caused by numerous reasons; I once had the tip on a CastAway GHB73-X Grass Master Braid 7'3" break when setting hook on a 3 lbs bass. Why? I don't know the rod was brand new; it went from the tackle shop to Toledo Bend where I set hook on the first bite with it and back to the tackle shop. My setup is actually a little on the light side for fishing heavy vegetation and not my normal setup for grass.  

Every rod can break. I have 10 Crucials and they have no problem what so ever. Don't worry about Crucials being under powered!

Even if it did break the over the counter warranty says it all.

I love my Crucial, 7'11" Heavy.  It's my swimbait rod and is tough as nails.

a nice point that is relevant is the over the counter warranty.  Broke it?  Get another off the wall.  Beat THAT!

Here's a hint; I caught 8 bass in excess of 10 pounds last year on a Crucial, 3 were caught in the marshes of Southwest Louisiana and 5 were caught in Hydrilla on Toledo Bend.

Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH

Length: 6' 10

Line: 10-20 lb

Lure: 3/8-3/4

Power: Medium Heavy

Action: Extra Fast

I have the exact same rod.  I just love Catt's remarks on its power, but I can tell you about its sensitivity (I have the same rod).  Picture a 20 degree weather January day in the dead of winter, fishing 60' of water with hands so frozen (despite a pair of gloves and mitts) and numb that you would have difficulty bringing your fingers together to grab the knob of the crank to retrieve let alone hold the rod securely with the other.

Despite those conditions, I felt the take of a smallie 60'. I lost the battle, but to feel that take with my numb hands really upped my praise about the rods.  They weren't frozen from the 20 degree temps, but by blazing down the lake at 55 mph.  Winnnnnnd Chilll,,,, baby! ;D

CRUCIALS ARE VERY STRONG

I CAUGHT AN 8 POUNDER ON MY

ML DROP SHOT WITH 6LB LINE

AND WAS ABLE TO FIGHT IT THROUGH ROCKS

ON A OVERHANGING BOULDER FROM THE BANK

(BEFORE I GOT A BOAT)

IT BOWED  ALMOST END TO END

WELL GOT MY PERSONAL BEST SO FAR AND

GOT 4 MORE CRUCIALS

A local tournament fisherman had a Crucial and broke it.

There is no brand of rods made commercially where many haven't been broken by some tourney anglers somewhere... including Loomis, St. Croix, All Star, Shimano, Daiwa, etc, etc.

That would be like me asking if BFG was a good tire, since I know someone who got a flat on a BFG tire.

99.9% of the time, it's the angler's fault that a rod breaks.

Buy the rod and don't worry.  If it breaks, you have a warranty.