Sign in to follow this  
flippin4it.

Powell rod owners???

I have had problems with my right elbow/forearm for years now. Because I am a mechanic, I can't seem to follow doctors orders so........I need rods that are not tip heavy and perform as good or better than expected. So far only Kistler LTA's and Carrot Stix fit the bill, but like most of us with a "monkey" thats just not enough. So I am looking at the 703C, which seems like a great all around rod. Any input on Powells would be great.

I own the 704 CB and compared to my cheaper rods, it has an extremely light tip.  I have it paired with a curado 100d so the whole combo weighs around 10 oz i think.  I throws the lightest of lure's and is one of my favorite rods (Besides my loomis Swim bait rod)

They are a bit tip heavy, especially the 7'0 and 7'3 casting models. I have a 702ml, 704C, and a 734C. Good rods for the money, in fact at the the new price point (130-170) they are the best in that range imo. You might consider looking into one of the 6'8" if you want to lean away from a tip heavy rod, or a 7' IMX or GLX.

i'm really not sure what you meant by the heavy tip? i have the powell 703CEF and the 703CB find them extremely light and well-balanced...love them!

I love Powell rods. My 765 is tip heavy without a reel, but balances nice with a Revo SX. I have a carrot stix rod also, but I like my Powells tons more. Especially now that the Powells are in the same price range as the Carrots. Go to your local tackle shop and see if they have any powells you can try out. Be sure to bring the reel you are using to see how it balances. If not, check out Dobyns rods, I know they come balanced from the factory.

You could always have something made to balance for your hold with your reel.

Balance is checked and measured with a scale, not a hand.

i'm really not sure what you meant by the heavy tip? i have the powell 703CEF and the 703CB find them extremely light and well-balanced...love them!

No offense intended but, what feels good to you based on comparing other factory set ups is very different than someone with medical issues needing balance to aid an injury... I'd bet money that what you call well balanced is actually tip heavy if you weighed it on a scale, unless you hold in front of the reels center line, which very few people do.

this topic is purely subjective if we don't define balance and the balance point.

You could always have something made to balance for your hold with your reel.

Balance is checked and measured with a scale, not a hand.

No offense intended but, what feels good to you based on comparing other factory set ups is very different than someone with medical issues needing balance to aid an injury... I'd bet money that what you call well balanced is actually tip heavy if you weighed it on a scale, unless you hold in front of the reels center line, which very few people do.

this topic is purely subjective if we don't define balance and the balance point.

Interesting!!           KEEP EM COMING

The Powell's feel balanced to me, but mine are the newer version with the bait keeper in the middle (vs. the side on the older models).  I had heard in the past the Powell's were a little tip heavy, so I didn't give them much thought.  Last year Cabelas got a shipment of Powell's in, and they seemed very light and balanced, so I indulged.  I think you will be happy with them.  Great rods...great price.  

One bit of advice on the Powells.

I would go one or two models heavier than they rate them. I have a 683, 703, 704, and 705.

the 703 and 683 are too light for mostof my jig and worm fishing. I have reserved them for lighter stuff. I use the 703 for Bitsy Bugs, shaky heads, and lighter finesse jigs (3/16, 1/4 oz).

I also own three ofthe cranking models, so obviously I am a big fan of the Powells. They are a great value for the $$$.

Rob, if you end up getting that rod, let me know. I'm looking at the 702C for my next setup and would like to see the 703c for comparison.

The Powell rods from two or three years ago tended to be slightly tip heavy, though they were great rods.  I own a 683CEF, 684CEF, 684CB, and a 703MEF spinning rod and all are from that time period.

The 684 CEF is a heavy action rod and is good for jigs.  The 683CEF is medium-heavy and I like it for all of my plastics.  I use the 703 for pretty much the same functions as Shadcranker suggested in his post above.  The 684CB is a crankbait rod.